ASUS G73SW Laptop getting into BIOS not happening?

Soldato
Ok, this laptop has been running great and then I have clearly done something that has now locked me out of being able to use it.

I think ( although I cannot be sure ) but there was some options in the BIOS tahh I can LOCK or UNLOCK and god knows what they do, but now, when the Laptop powers on, the ONLY this I get, is a message saying "Cannot find boot device, press a key to retry" and I press but again it just repeats itself.

It wont boot and it wont go into the BIOS and I just dont know WTF is up.

I have tried to find about clearing its CMOS and there is plenty of pages for a small button on the back, but they DO NOT exist on the SW model.

Mine is the SW model and I have NOT found any info about clearing the CMOS at all?

Anyone know of a way to get around this?

Soldato
OP
Weel, I have just gone through a sad moment.

Firstly, where the hell is the CMOS battery in this model Laptop?

Secondly, I have stripped it down as much as I can, then I disconnected the few things I could, and then left it for a bit and put enough of it back together to try it out and blow me, it went into the BIOS.

Brilliant!

So, I put it back together fully and now the screen is blank???

I am wondering if I may have disconnected the screen somehow, I mean, after all, I had to kind of hold the top of the base of it ( Where the keyboard sits ) , but no, I have not.

All the ribons are back in properly ( they are lights only anyway )

Plus, the VGA and the HDMI ports are alsop showing a black screen too!

Im utterly devastated... I think I broke it.

Im genuinely upset.

Associate
I believe the procedure to reset the CMOS is to unplug the system battery and the power adapter, and press the power button 5-10 times, then reconnect everything.

If not find the CMOS battery using this teardown guide.

Soldato
OP
Ok brilliant, I will watch the video shortly.
Right now, I have had to leave it.. I have noit had much sleep these last few days and thenb working on the Laptop has utterly destroyed my feelings and I just break down ( Very emotional as I have changed my medication and the situation with covid ect etc etc ) and with the thing coming back up and then all of a sudden, deciding to hate me, I am not in the mood to go at it just yet.
Thanks for the video though, I really am grateful for it and I will look at it after a cuppa ok?

Sad that I am so upset about this as its not even my main Laptop... Its just that its one of my favourites because its so.. Well, its a great Laptop.

Ok, I noticed that the back section just clips off.. I did not do that... Simlarly, I had to kind of bend the top of the base cover as it was stuck under the screen, and so getting the screen off is a vital part.

Im looking and kind of hoping that the cable might have just come out or even broken, but if thats the case then hopefulyl thats all it will be.. New cable and job done. I fear thats not the issue however, as the thing does not work with a NDI or VGA screen plopped onto it either.

But I have set up my laptop on the dining room table so I will have a play and take my time doing it in there ( No one uses the dining room and the most use it gets is the missuss uses it for her Sewing room... Since our youngest son moved into a flat, she says she will setup her sewing macine in there, so maybe I will claim the dfining room for more computer stuff. LOL.

but the video has given me somethign to go on... Slightly different model to mine but certainly close enough and the little differences are miniscule so far.

One thing I did find out only recently, is that when I upgraded the RAM in this, and I was still going from 8GB to 8GB but I was using the Corsair from my other Laptop instead of the Samsung, I saw that it had 12GB???? - Turns out that the original ram was 2x2GB not 2x4GB and tere was another stick underneath... Last night when I opened it up I saw that it had 2 slots underneath and so in total, this has 4 RAM Slots.

So I put in the Corsair underneath and the Samsung on top so thaty I czn then buy another pair opf 4GB Corsairs... Might not bother to be honest cos 12GB is more than enough really and my main Laptop has 32GB FFS!

So, some little bit of fun there.

Anyway and I said, I will do it later, or maybe tomorrow now since its getting late.#

Last edited:
Soldato
hi I have become a bit of an expert at these things over the last few days well not the SW model but there both pretty close I think.
Does your not have this little hole at the bottom?

https://i.imgur.com/JRd9zJe.png

You need to remove main battery,unpug power and then use a little pin to press the reser button that is through the small hole I have arrowed.

So you went into the BIOS.
messed with a few things.
came out and now it cant find the BOOT drive and you are now also locked out of the BIOS?.

is that correct?.

Soldato
OP
No, there is no hole.
And going intoi the BIOS did not quite do what you think...

I went in, and I was looking to try things that I have not tried before, and this Laptop has a load of extra things that you can LOCK/UNLOCK and I have not seen that before, and as I was trying to install MacOSX onto this, I wanted to know what those options did.

It locked me out by not booting on anything, and I was unable to get back into the BIOS....

So I opened it up to gfo and have a look for a battery or an internal reset switch, and I failed to find it... I put it back together and now it does not display the screen.

So, I opened it up, I probably did something that pulled a cxable out or something but no, everything is fit right and its nice and snug.

I have both physical and mental issues and so I have decided to just send it to ASUS and get them to sort it out... Something that I htought I would never have to do for ANY computer stuff, but since my accident, I have to be more honest with myself.

Soldato
Is it is warrenty still then?.
Do you live near Oxford at all if so I am willing to take a look for you when this all blows over if you want... I cant imagine Asus would do this for free and cant see it being cheap neither.

Ok thing I learnt with these is IF you have took it apart and have no ram sticks in certain slots IT WILL NOT DISPLAY.
It will turn on ETC but you will have no display.

YOU MUST HAVE A RAM STICK IN THE SLOT CLOSEST TO THE MOTHERBOARD.

Look its up to you I to suffer with stuff so trust me I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.
if you want me to take a peak at it when we can I have no issues doing so but thats only if you live close to me or am willing to come to me as I will not accept you posting it incase

it gets lost,damaged in post ETC ETC ETC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom