Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Soldato
Anyone else seen these that are coming shortly. The spec looks fantastic and it has an IPS screen finally.

I use the G750JZ and it's a great machine and these look a nice upgrade.

-Spec-

Asus G751JY-T7051H
17.3-inch Full HD LED IPS display
Intel Core i7-4860HQ 2.40GHz
32GB RAM
1TB HDD
512GB SSD
4GB GTX 980M
Blu-Ray
Windows 8.1

Between MSI and ASUS some very nice laptops coming up but for me this one so far is looking superb.

Asus G751 Gaming laptops

Following the announcement of the G771 17-inch gaming laptop, the new G751 is its more powerful, 17-inch brother. Featuring the latest Nvidia GTX 900M series graphics, including the GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5 for G751JY and the GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5 for G751JT, where the graphics cards can also be overclocked using new ASUS TurboMaster. New hardware also extends to a new Intel Core i7 i7-4860HQ processor and M.2 PCIe 512GB/256GB SSD options for the G751YT as well.

All three G751′s include a 17.3-inch anti-glare Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS display for superb color quality and wide 178-degree viewing angles, with touch support is also included for the G751JM. Up to three additional displays can be simultaneously plugged in via the HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 and d-sub (VGA) ports on all models. Software enhancements include ASUS SonicMaster, ROG AudioWizard and GameFirst III.

-----------------------------------------

G751 in stock and available from OCUK.

Asus G751 laptop range

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No idea about the switch there is little info on them yet.

The releases date is the 14th October but whether this is confirmed for UK and stock availability I have no idea.

I only found out about them myself as few days ago so trying to get more info from Asus at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Hmm ok a local online store (non-EU) has the following spec:

ASUS Notebook 17.3" G751JY-T7018H

• Intel Core i7-4710HQ, bis 3.2 GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • nVIDIA Geforce GTX980M DDR5 4GB
  • Blu-ray Reader / DVD Writer
  • 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare
  • Windows 8.1

...for £1370.

Ok so it has no SSD, but that still seems like a blinding price, right?

Thats price does seem very good for the spec.

Soldato
OP
It does look rather good the IPS screen is what sold it for me. I have the machine listed in my O/P on order just waiting on a delivery date but mid November is looking likely...

Soldato
OP
Be careful as some uk sellers are selling US models which might have warranty issues.

I have been told early to mid December for availability but tbh trying to get a definite is nigh on impossible.

Soldato
OP
How does the top end one, the ASUS ROG G751JY-T7051H compare to the likes of the MSI http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-163-MS&groupid=959&catid=1828

The G751JY is a better machine. It's quiter and has an IPS screen.

I would get the £1600 G751 over the £1900 model as the CPU's are near identical apart from the built in Intel graphics which is not used as these do not have Optimus. It's not worth the extra £400 for an extra 8gb of ram and extra 256gb of SSD space.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The GT72 is a great machine it's just to expensive for what it is. There are other models coming with single SSD's and without the Blu Ray writer but they are still not as good a deal as the G751JY.

Asus paid attention to what the gamer wanted and the £1600 JY model offers a much better spec than the comparable GT72 and is also a fair chunk cheaper. The MSi has dual SSD's, Blu Ray Writer and an 8GB 980M but these are things that are not needed in a gaming machine.

The GT72 can also be upgraded but tbh changing the CPU and GPU in a laptop is going to be too expensive to make it worthwhile.

Optimus was a pain in the previous G750 and I'm glad to see it gone tbh. It does hurt battery life but using the single GPU removes all the issues and makes things much simpler.

This machine is my recommendation after using both the Asus and MSi and taking in to account the spec to price ratio.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-206-AS

Soldato
OP
Not had any speaker issues yet.

As above the cooling is superb if not one if the best laptop cooling setups I have had tbh. The temps remain low with minimal noise.

Soldato
OP
All IPS screens suffer from glow it's part of the technology and there is not really much you can do about it.

I find having the better viewing angles and vibrant colours outweighs the cost of some glow.

Soldato
OP
I know all suffer "to some extent", but mine highly distracting in games with dark scenes.

Just had a look at mine and it's not overly bad about what I would expect for an IPS type screen. I cannot say it's overly distracting in dark areas tbh it's hardly noticeable unless I look at it at angles.

You might have a bad screen ? Can you take some pics looking at a black screen in the dark ?

Soldato
OP
Just received mine from OCUK sent in nothing but it's original box with the invoice taped to the outside. The box looks like it has been through hell and back and the Asus seal was broken and replaced with some OCUK tape on the opposite side. Not happy.... :mad:

Had a very quick try of the laptop and all seems ok. It has the sound issue with all the sounds coming from the subwoofer which my review model did not do...

Will have a better play later.

Back
Top Bottom