Asus Gaming Laptops - output to another screen?

Can't type for toffee
Don
Currently looking at the followign laptops:

FX504GM-EN150T - i7 8750H 8GB 1060 6GB 256GB SSD/1TB Storage
FX504GM-EN151T - i5 8300H 8GB 1060 6GB 256GB SSD/1TB Storage

Leaning towards the i5 at the moment dunno if the extra 100 for the i7 would be of any benefit for just gaming.

The one thing I'd like to know is that if using another monitor as the main screen will I get the full usage of the GFX? I know it sounds like an odd question but a friend has a gaming laptop and he says that the HDMI out goes to the onboard card on his and not the GFX (diff laptop tho)

Also anyone got any experience with these laptops as I was wondering if they have a second RAM slot or if I'm gonna need to replace the stick with a larger one.

Cheers :)

Soldato
Hi @~Divine~Wind~

You will not lose any GPU capability by outputting to a monitor as your main display. You will be fine on that score.

In regards to memory, we will use a single stick of 8GB DDR IV leaving a spare DIMM slot so you can upgrade to 16GB DDR IV if you wish. This will not void your warranty.

Can't type for toffee
Don
OP
Hey @Loki, cheers dude :)

Would you say that the i7 version is the best offering from Asus currently price versus spec?
100 quid difference in the models but I'll likely be holding onto it for a while

Is the standard warranty on these 2years?
Is there any space for an additional SSD/HDD?
Also can you confirm the type/model of RAM thats in these? Just so I can look at getting a matching stick.

And finally do Asus offer any sort of tradeup program?

Associate
To touch on your comment on the CPU, I'd say the i5-8300H is a better option for gaming lasptops. Unlike a lot of the reports I've read about laptops with the i7-8750h, I've had no issues with thermals on my recently purchased Omen. It's never gone over 76c and with the majority of the donkey work being done by the GPU in most games, the difference in performance would likely be marginal.

Last edited:
Associate
Managed to nab the i7 for a price I couldn't really say no to. :)

Not a clue what's in the Intel. Gaming pack tho lol

Hey Divine Wind. Have you got the laptop yet? I ordered the one with the i5 CPU this week. Just wondered what you thought of it? Obviously if you're waiting for it to arrive then don't worry.

Soldato
Managed to nab the i7 for a price I couldn't really say no to. :)

Not a clue what's in the Intel. Gaming pack tho lol

Depends what Intel Game pack it is. If it's the IEM (Intel Extreme Masters) you got some good games in there for all tastes. No doubt a few you will have in your Steam library. Interested to get your honest feedback once you used it for a week or so

Can't type for toffee
Don
OP
@Loki Not a clue tbh it just says intel gaming pack lol, anything would be a bonus haha
I'm assuming it comes with the mouse and backpack, not specifically mentioned but its shown in the images

More than happy to provide some feedback, since the bairns ended up invading my PC room Ive not had a half decent machine lol :(
Still got my catleap 2b tho haha, the 1060 gonna be areet with an external output at 2560*1440 ?

Soldato
@Loki Not a clue tbh it just says intel gaming pack lol, anything would be a bonus haha
I'm assuming it comes with the mouse and backpack, not specifically mentioned but its shown in the images

More than happy to provide some feedback, since the bairns ended up invading my PC room Ive not had a half decent machine lol :(
Still got my catleap 2b tho haha, the 1060 gonna be areet with an external output at 2560*1440 ?

Should be able to do 4K output at 60FPS no problem ;)

Associate
Mine arrived yesterday. Had a quick play and it's really nice and well worth the wait .I was coming from a very old laptop though so expected to really notice the difference. Feels nice to hold and the free bag will be useful haha.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom