Asus H81l-plus

Associate
Hi everyone,
I have this motherboard in my desk top, there is an Intel i5 as well (not sure of serial code).
I am giving it up and have decided to give it to my grandson but I want to put a couple of new drives into it.
Could someone please tell me what I can put in this for him, I think there is a hdd and a ssdin it already but I don't know if there are better options available now that can be put into it.
He is 8 1/2, I would like him to be able to use it for his school work etc over the next few years

Thanks for any replies
John

Man of Honour
From the manual it looks like it has 4 SATA ports. 2 are SATA 2. 2 are SATA 3.

It also has 2 rear USB 3.0 ports (Type-A).

Since the board is pretty small, if you already have two drives then I'd check that there's even space in the case to add more drives.

It might be that the best option is an external USB 3.0 drive with Type-A support.

Associate
OP
From the manual it looks like it has 4 SATA ports. 2 are SATA 2. 2 are SATA 3.

It also has 2 rear USB 3.0 ports (Type-A).

Since the board is pretty small, if you already have two drives then I'd check that there's even space in the case to add more drives.

It might be that the best option is an external USB 3.0 drive with Type-A support.
Sorry for confusion and apologies my mistake.
I will be getting rid of the two drives that are in there and hopefully leaving it fresh for him to be able to use

Man of Honour
Sorry for confusion and apologies my mistake.
I will be getting rid of the two drives that are in there and hopefully leaving it fresh for him to be able to use

In that case, I'd just buy a standard SATA SSD, like Crucial MX500, or Kingston KC600.

Man of Honour
Thank you, do these get slotted into the motherboard then?

No. Those are M.2 drives and you don't have any M.2 slots.

Standard SATA drives come in two sizes: 3.5" (mostly desktop hard drives) and 2.5" (mostly SSDs, or laptop hard drives).

If you already have a HDD and SSD then there should be a 3.5" and a 2.5" bay available in the case. You can get adapters to convert 3.5" bays to 2.5", but obviously not the reverse.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No. Those are M.2 drives and you don't have any M.2 slots.

Standard SATA drives come in two sizes: 3.5" (mostly desktop hard drives) and 2.5" (mostly SSDs, or laptop hard drives).

If you already have a HDD and SSD then there should be a 3.5" and a 2.5" bay available in the case. You can get adapters to convert 3.5" bays to 2.5", but obviously not the reverse.
Thank you for supplying all the information, I am extremely grateful

Soldato
SATA SSDs are roughly the same size as a credit card but thicker, think of it like a very thick credit card, they also weigh very little.

You don't really need to screw them into any part of the inside, obviously it's better, but you can for example just use double sided tape, or cables ties, and within reason stick them anywhere.

Associate
OP
SATA SSDs are roughly the same size as a credit card but thicker, think of it like a very thick credit card, they also weigh very little.

You don't really need to screw them into any part of the inside, obviously it's better, but you can for example just use double sided tape, or cables ties, and within reason stick them anywhere.
Thank you so much for your help

Associate
OP
Small update.
Thanks to everyone who gave advice, I bought the Crucial MX 500 1tb drive.
I have the older ones out and this one installed with new cables etc. It is going really well and ready to hand over to the grandkids.

Once again thanks to all those involved.

Back
Top Bottom