• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS P5B-E PLUS with Intel E4300 CPU

Associate
contactsheet001ts9.gif

For the attention of Monsieur Big.Wayne.

Hooray.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, let's get back to oc'ing.

In a nutshell, EVERYTHING is at Default/Auto settings. The only things I've changed are...
CPU Frequency: from 200 to 310
C1E Support: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Disabled

I think that's it. Hope I took the right pictures for you.

Associate
OP
Big.Wayne said:
I'm not familar with your memory?

It's GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 C5 800MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400DC)

I had just written a lengthy reply, then I got Blue Screen of Death because the CPU was unstable due to it's overclock.

To repeat my self (in condensed form), basically, the settings you gave me don't work on my machine. I can get as high as FSB 310Mhz stable. Any higher and you get the gradual increases in intensity of failures. At 334Mhz, it's total POST failure. As I decreased the speeds, I had Failure after POST, then failure at Windows Boot logo (Blue Screen of Death), then failure at desktop load (Blue Screen of Death), then failure at desktop when running Orthos (Blue Screen of Death). That was the one when I managed to get as far as the desktop with 3.0GHz, but blue screen came up when Orthos told me the testing had failed 2 seconds after starting it

In my original message, I suggested that maybe the PSU is the culprit. It's a Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU SLI/CrossFire Certified PSU. I thought maybe the POST failures were because the PSU recognised an irregularity in its boot sequence, caused the the oc'd cpu. I'm only going on noise, but I think that the PSU checks that the CPU fan works, then it beeps, then it lets the monitor come on, then goes through the usual bios and start up sequence.

I'm a bit bamboozled with this one. I really was expecting this to be an easy overclock. All be it I've gained a whole 1000MHz, which is great, I was expecting to get above 3GHz.

Is it my PSU, or do I just happen to have a temperamental motherboard and processor?

Thanks for your continued help.

Associate
OP
RAM

1000801te2.gif

I changed the first three timings to 5 (I think they were all at 6, or a mixture of 5 and 6), so it ended up 5-5-5-15. Incidentally, the memory is rated as 5-5-5-15.

The screen shot is how I've had the memory settings whilst using your suggested configuration. I don't understand much of what's shown in the screen shot, so I've no idea what to change, or what does what.

With the above settings, and your configuration, my PC makes it as far as the windows boot logo, then restarts.

As for MemTest, I ran it for a few minutes in a windows environment, then stopped it. I wasn't sure what bios settings I should testing the memory at.

Thanks,
Fraser.

Associate
OP
Big.Wayne said:
Sounds like u need to add a nudge of vCore, bump it one notch and try again, if it fails, bump it again etc.
What would be considered too much vCore? How far should I go?

Big.Wayne said:
What voltage does your memory need, maybe 1.8vDimm isn't enough?
Hmm. The memory is rated as 1.8v-1.9v, so I'll try gradually increasing it up to 1.9v.

I'm just wondering how to go about applying new settings. Should I increase both the vCore and memory voltage the same time?

Yes, this my first overclock. That obvious?

Back
Top Bottom