• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS P5B-E PLUS with Intel E4300 CPU

Associate
contactsheet001ts9.gif

For the attention of Monsieur Big.Wayne.

Hooray.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, let's get back to oc'ing.

In a nutshell, EVERYTHING is at Default/Auto settings. The only things I've changed are...
CPU Frequency: from 200 to 310
C1E Support: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Disabled

I think that's it. Hope I took the right pictures for you.

Soldato
Hi Fraser,

I'm not familar with your memory?, but here is a simple screenshot to get you to 3GHz on your e4300 . . .

3ghzha1.jpg

The only settings that are not listed here are the Memory, you will need to get the ratio/divider and the timings, I suggest setting the memory loose to begin with 5-5-5 or 4-4-4 etc then after your done with the CPU you can come back and tighten them.

This should get you 3GHz using 'stock' vCore of just 1.325v, 3.3GHz/3.4GHz is doable but your gonna need good cooling as once this CPU gets over *55°C it doesn't hit the 'higher' overclocks. Also notice that most voltages are set to manual and minimum, the only ones I have need to bump up are NBvCore (one notch) and Memory Voltage and I only needed to do this once I am about 3.3GHz + using tighter memory settings (4-4-4 and 3-3-3), but to begin with I think u can get away with turning them all down to minimum (except the last one ICH Chipset, leave that on auto).

Bit busy atm but will check back when I get time

*Use TAT to get an accurate reading from your e4300/P965

Associate
OP
Big.Wayne said:
I'm not familar with your memory?

It's GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 C5 800MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400DC)

I had just written a lengthy reply, then I got Blue Screen of Death because the CPU was unstable due to it's overclock.

To repeat my self (in condensed form), basically, the settings you gave me don't work on my machine. I can get as high as FSB 310Mhz stable. Any higher and you get the gradual increases in intensity of failures. At 334Mhz, it's total POST failure. As I decreased the speeds, I had Failure after POST, then failure at Windows Boot logo (Blue Screen of Death), then failure at desktop load (Blue Screen of Death), then failure at desktop when running Orthos (Blue Screen of Death). That was the one when I managed to get as far as the desktop with 3.0GHz, but blue screen came up when Orthos told me the testing had failed 2 seconds after starting it

In my original message, I suggested that maybe the PSU is the culprit. It's a Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU SLI/CrossFire Certified PSU. I thought maybe the POST failures were because the PSU recognised an irregularity in its boot sequence, caused the the oc'd cpu. I'm only going on noise, but I think that the PSU checks that the CPU fan works, then it beeps, then it lets the monitor come on, then goes through the usual bios and start up sequence.

I'm a bit bamboozled with this one. I really was expecting this to be an easy overclock. All be it I've gained a whole 1000MHz, which is great, I was expecting to get above 3GHz.

Is it my PSU, or do I just happen to have a temperamental motherboard and processor?

Thanks for your continued help.

Soldato
frasermcfarlane said:
It's GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 C5 800MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400DC)
How have u got this memory set-up? what frequency? what voltage? what timings etc? Have u run Memtest from a floppy/or CD?

Associate
OP
RAM

1000801te2.gif

I changed the first three timings to 5 (I think they were all at 6, or a mixture of 5 and 6), so it ended up 5-5-5-15. Incidentally, the memory is rated as 5-5-5-15.

The screen shot is how I've had the memory settings whilst using your suggested configuration. I don't understand much of what's shown in the screen shot, so I've no idea what to change, or what does what.

With the above settings, and your configuration, my PC makes it as far as the windows boot logo, then restarts.

As for MemTest, I ran it for a few minutes in a windows environment, then stopped it. I wasn't sure what bios settings I should testing the memory at.

Thanks,
Fraser.

Soldato
frasermcfarlane said:
With the above settings, and your configuration, my PC makes it as far as the windows boot logo, then restarts
btw is this the first overclocking you have done?

Sounds like u need to add a nudge of vCore, bump it one notch and try again, if it fails, bump it again etc. My e4300 is happy running 3000MHz using stock vCore of 1.325v

What voltage does your memory need, maybe 1.8vDimm isn't enough?

Basically you have to keep adjusting things till it works, u can't just copy someone elses settings and expect it to be fine. I think u just probably need a touch more volts though!

Associate
OP
Big.Wayne said:
Sounds like u need to add a nudge of vCore, bump it one notch and try again, if it fails, bump it again etc.
What would be considered too much vCore? How far should I go?

Big.Wayne said:
What voltage does your memory need, maybe 1.8vDimm isn't enough?
Hmm. The memory is rated as 1.8v-1.9v, so I'll try gradually increasing it up to 1.9v.

I'm just wondering how to go about applying new settings. Should I increase both the vCore and memory voltage the same time?

Yes, this my first overclock. That obvious?

Soldato
Well it good to see how far the CPU will go on stock volts (1.325v-1.35v) but some people prefere too add extra vCore right off the bat.

How is your cooling for the CPU, what sorta temps are u getting? I have raised my vCore up to 1.55v-1.6v for 'testing' purposes only and that was while I was trying to get 3.6GHz dual-prime/Orthos Stable

This e4300 I have runs up to just above 3000MHz using no added voltage, from there upwards it starts needing more and more. For me 3300MHz is as high as I wanna go, that needs 1.425vCore and still runs pretty cool. TBH I kinda got bored there and have been running it at 3.3GHz ever since, I may have a stab at 3.4GHz but again its gonna need extra vCore for such a little gain. I've settled on an almost silent 120mm Sharkoon fan which with the Thermalright Ultra-120 is giving me a very quiet system.

I would suggest bumping your vCore one step at a time and try to boot into windows, if it fails/locks up add another notch and keep trying. I would be suprised if by the time you have got to 1.4vCore it wasn't running stable at 3000MHz? or perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. You have plenty of voltage options so don't be scared to use em (vNB and vSB can hekp sometimes.)

I don't envy you trying to learn overclocking and using a Core2 Duo/P965 motherboard, quite a lot of options to get your head around, but there are literally 1000's of posts like these on the forums so really you just need an endless supply of coffee and a few days to read'n'learn.

Regarding memory most sticks are fine up to about 2.2vDimm but it really depends what memory it is and how your cooling is, you don't really want your memory to be running 'sizzling' hot so get your trusty old finger-probe and touch the sticks carefully to see if they are warm/hot/scorching etc.

The memory I am using is good for 500MHz (1000DDR2) at 5-5-5 using just 1.8vDimm, also 400MHz (800DDR2) at 4-4-4 again using 1.8vDimm. When I tighten it up to 3-3-3 I then need to add extra memory voltage, currently running 334MHz (668DDR2) 3-3-3 using 2.0vDimm.

Back
Top Bottom