Asus p5q-e and Q9550

Associate
OP
finally got the rig working

Upped fsb to 411
NB Voltage to 1.26
SB Voltage to 1.10
PCIE SATA 1.5
DRAM Voltage 2.2 (Kingston Hyper 2 x 2GB 1066)
FSB Term 1.2

CPU and PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

Getting the following temps

On Load on Idle
Core 1 51 max 38 max
Core 2 40 max 35 max
Core 3 42 max 38 max
Core 4 47 max 38 max

Running Q9550, ASUS P5Q-E, Megahalems air cooler, Corsiar TX 750 PSU

I did change the DRAM frequency to 1069 (there is no 1066. there is a 1006 though)
and manually set the timings to 7-7-7-20 as per the sticker on the RAM

When I pushed the FSB up to about 470, I found that win 7 pro 64 threw a wobbly when booting and kept trying to run a repair. Dropped the FSB back to 411 and all was ok.

Can anyone advise pls?

Man of Honour
Are you sure the ram timings are correct because 7-7-7-20 is abysmal for DDR2?

Try this:-

8.5x 424 (3600mhz)

Vcore 1.23125v (yours may need a little more if not stable)

CPU GTL Ref on auto

Dram voltage to whatever your ram need's

All other voltages taken off auto and set to minimum. CPU PLL, NB and FSB Termination voltages should'nt need increasing for such a low fsb.

Spread spectrums to disabled.

Try that and see how you get on.

More of my stable settings here.

Associate
OP
yep Kingston timings are as per sticker.
Seems pretty quick though in practice. Not that I wouldnt knock a faster rig.

Will try those settings.
Any idea why Win 7 goes nuts at a higher FSB setting?

Associate
OP
CHecked Kingstons site and can change timimg to 5 5 5 15 ... set to auto for now
Anyway. With a multiplier at 8.5
I get BSOD when changing FSB to 447 (3.82Ghz)
So far seems stable at 435 (3.71Ghz)

Any ideas how I can push to nearer 4Ghz without BSOD?
CPU voltage is at 1.31250

Associate
Sorry for butting in here but I myself would like some advice on overclocking as this is all new to me. I shall be building my new PC tomorrow which consists of the following:

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo/Q9550/Kingston 2 x 2 GB 1066Mhz/Ati HD Radeon 5670/Corsair CX400W PSU.

Just been looking at some of the posts here which look very informative, and have been reading up on the guides here in the forum for overclocking, and noticing some rather interesting utilities. The mobo I have does come with some overclocking tools, but not sure as to how good these are, or if it is worth installing some of these features to be honest judging by the way you experienced chaps seem to be using the AI Tweaker in the bios rather than any of the utilities that come with Asus.

So any advice and settings would be much appreciative. I will be installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit which is another road I have never been down, as I am very much into 32 Bit systems myself, and not sure of the reliability of the 64 Bit system. Though things these days seem to be going that way, and I've found some good advice within this forum that have certainly persuaded me to think otherwise.

I also purchased an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 cooler for the Q9550. Not sure how good if it all this will do, but I can replace it next week if necessary. I am not looking to soup up the cpu at all to great lengths but would like to go to maybe 3.4ghz or 3.6ghz if it can run stable enough. Main use will be for video editing and music.

Soldato
Hi Intruder, that will be a very nice setup. The P5Q Pro Turbo is a decent board with good cooling so is ideal for overclocking. I have always found it is better (for stability and just seems more natural to me) to overclock in the BIOS (i.e. the AI Tweaker). The settings pastymucher has posted throughout this thread should do you right and you should reach 3.6GHz on your chip without too much trouble and should be nice and cool under the Freezer 7 Pro. The freezer might limit you going further than that but it depends how high volts you need to get higher OC.

Regarding 64bit, it's perfectly stable in Windows 7 and you wont do anything different on installing than you would for the 32bit version (other than use the 64bit CD :)). you just need to remember when installing utilities and programs (e.g. iTunes, etc.) to download the 64bit version, although Windows should warn u if u try to install an incompatible version.

The only utilities u will need for overclocking are CPUz (allows u to check the CPU and RAM speeds and voltages in Windows), Prime95 and/or Intel Burn Test (to test the stability of the overclock) and CoreTemp (to monitor the CPU temperature).

Make sure your RAM is set to its correct voltage in the BIOS, you should be able to find this in the manufacturer info on the box or website.

Takes some patience but is quite enjoyable :D Good luck and let us know how u get on.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Intruder, that will be a very nice setup. The P5Q Pro Turbo is a decent board with good cooling so is ideal for overclocking. I have always found it is better (for stability and just seems more natural to me) to overclock in the BIOS (i.e. the AI Tweaker). The settings pastymucher has posted throughout this thread should do you right and you should reach 3.6GHz on your chip without too much trouble and should be nice and cool under the Freezer 7 Pro. The freezer might limit you going further than that but it depends how high volts you need to get higher OC.

Regarding 64bit, it's perfectly stable in Windows 7 and you wont do anything different on installing than you would for the 32bit version (other than use the 64bit CD :)). you just need to remember when installing utilities and programs (e.g. iTunes, etc.) to download the 64bit version, although Windows should warn u if u try to install an incompatible version.

The only utilities u will need for overclocking are CPUz (allows u to check the CPU and RAM speeds and voltages in Windows), Prime95 and/or Intel Burn Test (to test the stability of the overclock) and CoreTemp (to monitor the CPU temperature).

Make sure your RAM is set to its correct voltage in the BIOS, you should be able to find this in the manufacturer info on the box or website.

Takes some patience but is quite enjoyable :D Good luck and let us know how u get on.

Cheers for the advice I am looking well forward to it all. And will let you know how I get on with it.

Associate
OP
ok thanks for that, will ammend sig.
Am stable again at 3.6GHZ and going to start to knock the FSB up in increments of 5s
When I get to an unstable setting I will notch up the Vcore a little at a time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok to get to 8.5x435 I have pushed Vcore up to 1.36250. I seem to be ok so far at 3.7Ghz

I did try to up fsb to 8.5x445 to get to 3.8Ghz but something odd happened.
I can boot to win7 on my SSD and it runs stable.
However if I boot to win7 on my Hard Drive, windows either stops responding and BSODS or BSODS on boot up.
Any other ideas?
Also in what increments should i push up Vcore?

Associate
Built new PC and it's running at defaults at the moment as I have been busy getting programs on it at the moment, so should get round to trying out some overclocking within the next couple of days. I am pretty sure it's perhaps underclocked with default settings judging by this
cpuzn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

coretempscr1.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Just getting used to 64 bit OS at the moment, I must say it's very funny with applications using 32 bit and 64 bit. I also noticed theres even a 32 and 64 bit browser when I went to get Java. Was not sure what version to download to be honest as Java explained how to find out which version I was using by clicking on about in the help section of the broswer on IE8 and I must say are these people taking the P lol with Cipher Strengh 256 Bit.

I downloaded and had a look at Prime 95 and it looked a bit scary to be honest lol, also the help never worked on it. I see Sybaris is doing well by the look of things, and getting into the swing of it.

Associate
OP
I see you are at 1.072v
mine reads 0.99 yet I had set Vcore to 1.36250 in Bios.
Which of these are correct. The bios or CPU-z?
I think I may need to up it still a little.
Would 1.4v fry my chip?

Associate
OP
Well i tried pushing vcore up to 1.4 but windows kept BSODing
Upped DRAM voltage to 2.3 but this made no differnce.
so dropped vcore back to 1.38
adn DRAM V to 2.2
also dropped fsb by one so instrad of 3.71Ghz I am at 3.70Ghz.

and all seems fairly stable so far

Back
Top Bottom