Asus ProArt X670E-Creator vs Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming

Associate

Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming - £399.95​

Asus ProArt X670E-Creator - £539.99​

I have my RAM (64GB 6000 CL30), but have not yet decided on a motherboard. Don't ask about CPU....my head can't decide on a X or a X3D CPU....

What draws me towards the ProArt is the 10GbE ethernet and the two USB4's. Is there any reasons for avoiding the ProArt board (I don't really like the design)?

Soldato
The ProArt seems good, not read anything bad, think ECO mode settings did not work with the old BIOS but think its fixed now. If you need USB4 then get a board with it. You can add 10Gb ethernet if the board has a spare PCIe 4x for ~£100, maybe less.

Associate
I have the ProArt, and can confirm that the ECO mode issue has been resolved, so you'll be able to run the X chip at the 105W option or 65W option without issues. There was an instance on the November BIOS where it would not stick to the ECO mode settings properly.

I would say that if you are going to make use of the 10gbe, and/or the USB4/Thunderbolt connections, then I can recommend you go with the ProArt. One reason for this, is (as I mentioned in another thread), a LOT of higher end GPU's are now coming with multi-slot coolers. 2.5 or 3 slot is common, and some are moving into 3.5 or 4 slot territory. And some are even punching into the 4.2 or 5 slot region (Asus x Noctua on their upcoming 4080 16GB). What this means is, that the second x16 slot (eletronically rigged for PCIe 5 x 8) is most likely going to be non viable for use (as it'll be covered by the GPU's cooler), or if it is viable, potentially suffocating for any GPU in the top x16 slot. So rather than looking for expansion cards to slot in later down the line (that may also suffocate your GPU), you simply have them installed on the motherboard already.

And of course, the price of getting these additional features from expansion cards, will cost more than the £140 that the price difference between the two will be (currently, can't say about the future though). This is most evident with the USB4 card, vs a 10gbe card, as those can be had from £80 new at least. But that USB4/Thunderbolt card is a different matter. Often well above £100 as a starting price.

Associate
OP
Thanks FredFlint and Meddling-Monk.

I will want 10gbe in the future and I like the idea of having a free expansion slot. I currently have an Optane 900P in the bottom one. You are right Meddling-Monk, the middle slot can't be used as I have a 7900 XTX Nitro+ card.

Associate
Asus ProArt motherboards are fantastic. I found the USB4 port to be quite useful - it let's me switch between my personal PC and my work laptop by just connecting a TB dock to either (network, audio, keyboard, mouse, monitors are all connected to the TB dock).

Associate
What about audio?
The X670E-E and the X670E Proart are very similar but have different audio chips.
As an audiophile... Which one is better? In terms of signal to noise ratio or audio chips? (I use an external DAC).

Man of Honour
What about audio?
The X670E-E and the X670E Proart are very similar but have different audio chips.
As an audiophile... Which one is better? In terms of signal to noise ratio or audio chips? (I use an external DAC).

Purely the codec, there appears to be no difference except for the way it is connected:

One thing to be aware of is that some support is optional *, but the bundled software of the Strix suggests it has it, but I'm not sure about the creator. The tech specs also mention an integrated amp, which I can't see in the other spec.

"optional third-party software features such as Dolby, DTS, Waves and Fortemedia"

Associate
Yea, nevermind about the software. More interested in which one has better power-isolated USB and better signal-to-noise ratio.
Both are surely high quality, having used Asus before (had terrible experiences in the past with MB which transferred interference).

The Gaming-E has an optical port too while the proart does not. But generally speaking with an external DAC, I think the motherboard codec might not really matter (or does it?).

Thank you so much for the article.

Back
Top Bottom