• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS RMA.

Soldato
Can anyone here help me, my GTX 670 stopped working so I have spent nearly £40 sending it to OcUK having it tested then being told there is nothing wrong. So I'm assuming the issue is my motherboard, it's an ASUS P8P67 Pro v3.1.

Okay, the spec:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
Power Supply: NZXT Hale90 700W PSU
Graphics: 2x ASUS GTX 560TIs Factory Overclocked (*MSI GTX 670 Power Edition)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DGX Sound Card
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.8Ghz
Cooling: Corsair A50 Heatsink
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

*Card shown in Italic/Yellow is the one that is faulty, the other two cards in SLI work without any issue no matter what.

Okay, the issue:

I would power on the PC, and everything would start up, the monitor displays "No Signal" and the PCI-E LED lights up on the motherboard. However I can hear the windows boot sound through my speakers indicating that even though I cannot see anything on my monitor the PC has actually booted successfully into the Windows OS.

I then power down the PC and then power it on again straight after, this causes it to boot without issue and I can see the monitor fine. I did this (powering it on and off till it booted into the Windows OS and displayed fine on the monitor) for two days, then I though I may as well just leave the PC on and save myself the trouble. I did this for about a week. Then one day I accidentally clicked shut-down instead of logout and the PC would not boot at all after that.

The issue was somewhat the same, I would power the PC on, "No Signal" displays on the monitor and the PCI-E LED would light up again, however with my speakers turned on there would be no Windows boot sound. This indicates that the PC was no longer booting into windows as before and had completely stopped working.

I then put my two ASUS GTX 560TIs back into the PC, powered it on and it worked straight away, no fuss or trouble at all.

At this point I contacted OcUK and arranged the RMA, sent back the card for testing and have received this message back. "Graphics card posts fine. Ran heaven benchmark on extreme settings for 48 hours.". This shows that OcUK managed to boot into windows without issue.

I must urge, all drivers and the bios were as up to date as I could get them. If they were not running a newer version at any point it was for testing purpose or because they simply were not available. However, at some point everything was running on it's latest firmware.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: There appears to be a new bios out for my motherboard that shows these fixes:

1.Improve compatibility with Windows 8 OS.
2.Improve system stability.
3.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.
4.Fixed Nvidia GTX 680 hang when running with UEFI driver.
5.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I will try this as soon as my card arrives but I'm not holding out much hope.

EDIT 2: Did nothing issue persists.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do you know anyone who would let you try their graphics card before you send the mobo back?

This is the page you want:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/webnote.php#rma

I'm using two GTX 560TIs without issue at the moment. Also the PC booted fine for a while with the GTX 670 just displayed a no signal message on my monitor and the PCI-E LED came on. However powering down the PC and rebooting made it all work okay, I thought it was just an issue cold booting. Then after a week or two it just stopped booting completely.

EDIT: The motherboard was not purchased from OcUK so I need to go to ASUS directly?

Soldato
OP
Good luck with that one! :eek:

I think they are notoriously bad for service?

If it is working with 2 x 560 Ti's I would still personally suspect the card however,

It will be well worth checking the BIOS revisions for your board, you are looking for a later BIOS that improves graphics card compatibility.

My bios is up to date and at the latest version.

If it's the motherboard at fault I'm likely going to just buy another motherboard. Preferable Gigabyte.

Soldato
OP
you need to try tht gpu in another machine and see if u can put another gpu back into ur machine.

Then u will know whats wrong with it.

Depending how / how long they tested it it might not have come up with an error.

The error would only come up during booting, if I powered off the machine after it failed to boot, then powered it back on it worked without issue. I ran the card for a good week without shutting down the PC then one day accidentally turned it off and it completely stopped booting after that. I'm also using two GTX 560TIs in my PC atm in SLI without issue so I have no idea what could be the issue. I'll do a proper write up of the issue after the walking dead has finished.

Soldato
OP
I have done some asking and managed to get a friend willing to let me use the GTX 670 in his PC when I have time. At least this should solidify what OcUK have said if it does work in his PC.

I also have a P5Q, Q6600 and some Corsair XMS2 RAM I could stick into my current system when I have time if that would work?

Soldato
OP
I may have to get myself an MSI board but have no idea how they stand regarding customer service and returns. I'm okay buying another motherboard but need to know it will work if I do. However, if I bought a motherboard and tested the GPU and it still didn't work I'd be distraught.

Soldato
OP
Okay, can I request a mod maybe move this to General Hardware as I wasn't originally planning on getting repair advise but some would be nice at this point.

I've managed to get some videos up of the issue as the card has just been returned to me.

Here is a video showing the PC booting with a single ASUS GTX 560TI:

And here is a video showing the PC "booting" with a single MSI GTX 670:

Soldato
OP
The only new part is the GTX 670, and as said above I have had the 670 running under 100% load before. I'm baffled by what the issue could be but don't have another PSU to test. I own a P5Q, Q6600 and some XMS2 RAM I could try with the same PSU.

Soldato
OP
You got a Windows "something is not right" warning 'bing' with the GTX 670.

Its a shame you can't see what that is.

the only thing i can add to this is Reset CMOS, actually take the battery out for 5 or 10 minutes to be sure to clear it completely.

I've tried that it did nothing. I'm now running the GTX 670 in my system with my Q6600, P5Q and XMS2 RAM.

This means it is either my CPU, RAM or Motherboard causing the issue.

Soldato
OP
Read what MAK360 posted, :) (click on the Spoiler Show button)

I think it is the GPU.

Great, more money to spend on shipping this thing to random people. After this is all over this 670 will have ended up costing me near enough £450. Plus I don't even know if that will fix it.

What if I send it to MSI and they just say there is nothing wrong?

Soldato
OP
I've stuck a link to this thread in my RMA/CS thread. Hopefully I'll get an official word on this because I don't have a clue.

Really could do with another PSU to help me rule out everything.

EDIT: I emailed MSI asking if they know of any issues with this card/motherboard and this is the reply I received back.

"Dear sir/madam Thanks for contacting MSI technical support. Regarding your concern,yes,they all can compatibility. Thanks for your cooperation in advance! Best Regards, MSI Technical Support Team"

EDIT 2: Another thread with two people having the exact same problems and also managing to get it working before it breaking once again. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1715566&mpage=1

This seems to be a GPU problem now, almost all of these threads people are having issues and non of them have similar motherboards or power supplies.

I'm now hoping my cat doesn't get in my bedroom.

2r4hdv8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Does anyone have a contact number for MSI? I've tested a 4350, 5770 and 9600GT with my motherboards and what not this morning just for the sake of it. I'll also be trying to get to a friends today who has a P67 Sabertooth, 2500k, 8GB Vengeance RAM and a Corsair 600W PSU.

EDIT: I phoned the UK landline for MSI and it just told me to make an online ticket? I've seen the quality of their online replies and it was barely in English. How hard is it to talk to someone?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have tried the card on two motherboards that are 775 socket, way before UEFI was even a thought. They still have the same issue.

A screen shot of what? Just the two GTX 560TIs?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom