• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC - Stopped working suddenly.

Associate
Hi all,

My PC knowledge is quite limited so looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot:

Whilst playing New World, AFK in town, my PC shutdown suddenly. When I went to reboot it, it was clear something was off. No blue screens or anything, no error messages, just shutdown.

It proceeds to spin up normally, my RAM on my mobo lights up, but quite quickly my GPU lights flash once, then clicks, does the same again, and does nothing, no lights, no fans, seems dead, and my PC fails to boot.

As a quick test when I take the GPU out and connect the display cable to my mobo, my pc boots up as per normal, but I don't get a display. Assuming this is until I remove Nvidia drivers anyway.

Given the PC a good clean, and I think the PSU is ok as power is getting to the machine.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot what I think is a GPU issue?

I think its pertinent for me to add the game I was playing, as there were issues with the EVGA cards bricking themselves during the Beta phase of the game and this was patched. EVGA replaced a lot of the cards, as they were at fault. I've been playing the game since it launched for a month and a bit and not experienced this issue in beta either.

Bit lost.

Help appreciated. No other app was running at the time aside from a google browser maybe.

Link to a recording of the boot process: https://imgur.com/a/VMxLXMZ

Many thanks,

Luvvo

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Full specs of your pc will help. PSU,CPU,MOBO etc etc.. Does the cpu even have an IGP.. also if it has one you may need to clear the cmos/BIOS to be able to get it to show an image on the IGP as you may have set it to the PCIE slot for video. You should get an image if the GPU is out and you have made sure the IGP is enabled in the BIOS. Windows will auto load default drivers for it anyways.

So I would check that first as it maybe something else causing the issue and not your 3090.. PSU maybe also going bad on some of the rails ? We need more info of your system. Otherwise we will all just be guessing. But as said if the CPU has an IGP you should get video from the motherboard.

Also the Strix card has red LEDS on the pcie connectors on the card, are they coming on ? They are on the back side of the gpu board right next to the connectors.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Twelve Core 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H115i PRO XT RGB Performance Liquid Cooler - 280mm
MOBO - Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (4x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
SSD - WD Black 1TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3
PSU - Corsair 1000W Gold

Drivers are up to date for everything, but the BIOS was maybe 1-2 behind.

What do you mean be IGP?

The PSU is probably the oldest part of my system to be fair, but its been consistent and never had any issues with it.

Associate
OP
Your rtx3090 probably has a blown VRM capacitor caused by going too far above the official power limit due to nvidia's aggressive power management and new world's knack for being the new furmark

you should have lowered the card's power limits when playing new world to prevent gpu damage, or at least that's what recommended. Just rma the gpu and lower the power limit on the new one to prevent component damage

Hi Grim,

Maybe, at the time I was not stressing the card at all, and I've not altered its factory set OC at all. Nor have I played around with voltage.

Will kick off the RMA process. I imagine thats better done with ASUS directly, and not OC UK?

Many thanks,

Associate
OP
There is no IGP graphics processor in the cpu. So you will never get video from the motherboard. You will need a cpu with an IGP intergrated graphics processor to get video from the motherboard. So your only option is to try another graphics card.

Try different PCIE rails on the psu to rule out any that may have gone too. Another thing to try is try the Strix in another pc with a suitable PSU too. Also try the gpu on a different 16x slot on the motherboard the one down from the top one.

Ah I understand now re the CPU, always assumed it was the MOBO that had that.

Will see if I can test the other options you listed over the weekend. Thanks Purgatory.

Associate
OP
OCUK has 10+ of the 3090 strix in stock so I would rma it with them as they have stock and they should swap it out. If the card is found faulty of course. Rule out your motherboard pcie slots by trying the other 16x slot and psu too. If you have another graphics card try that too or if you can borrow one .

I managed to get a hold of my old 1070, and the PC spun up like normal with no problems at all.

Think that narrows it back down to the GPU issue.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom