asus rog swift pg248q?

rn2

rn2

Associate
I have read a lot of bad things about this one but then I see a tonne of 5 star reviews? I am returning my Acer with crappy black uniformity. I was going to have this rog swift a go, what do you think? Hopefully better blacks and less of a pee coloured tint at the bottom.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
These both use the same panel. The new Alienware native 100hz seems to be the way to go now.

Maybe I will keep trying until I hopefully get lucky, that alienware one is not true 8 bit is it? I m not sure what the darker shadowing would look like :confused:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I will keep trying with the acer until I get one with minimal clouding. Which has the worse quality control out of acer and asus? I have seen a lot of issues with the pg248q will these issues appear over time or usually within the first week?

Last edited:
Associate
Dud

That's way too big ha, thanks though, I won't be gaming over 1080p, I was looking at this one though if alien ware have the better panels? https://www.itcsales.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?WD=aw2518h&PN=Dell-Alienware-AW2518H-25--240Hz-G-Sync-Gaming-Monitor-JCYDY-16121.html#SID=320

Oh damn, sorry dude, for some reason I read the title as PG34 not PG24 :D

The 8 series are the TN panels. I think black uniformity is typically a weakness of the panel type. Best thing I can suggest is to get a good ICC profile from someone like TFTcentral and you'll improve the image quite a bit. But TN you'll always be sacrificing the image for the speed of the panel.
Dell/Alienware will def have the better QC.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
It' okay I know a lot of people are getting bigger monitors now :) but I'd only go higher than 1080p with a GTX1080 and I have a 1070.

Yes I used an old profile from my previous panel and tweaked this new monitor on top of that and the colour is more white now so I know how to get the perfect setting, it's just that poor uniformity :( other than that I have to change the contrast between gaming and desktop which isn't an issue for me.

It's a shame when money isn't an issue and you still get a mediocre product but I hae read that all of these new gaming monitors are classed as bdget and you'd have to pay 1k for a high quality product and even then there are issues, wow ha.

I will give these panels a few more goes and switch between acer and asus so as not to return so many in a short space of time, do that for a month and hopefully get a good one, after that I could go towards dell but it's 6bit + FRC and I read that you notice it on the lower frames.

My previous monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster s22b350h and I was trying to find out the bit colour of it but I can't find it anywhere, the panel was perfect though. On a side note I didn't realise that there was an option for magic colour until I just read about it wow! oh well too late now, it's also pure black with the very, very slightest very slightly lighter very close to the right edge, wow what a difference lol.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Going to try the Dell AW2518H and just ordered the last one from a site for £400, seems to have had good reviews for picture quality. I won't be playing over 80hz in most games so I won't be utilizing it to 144hz let alone the 240hz so hopefully I won't get many issues at that level of frames anyway plus I'm purely trying it because it's not Acer or Asus plus they seem to not be true 8bit TN panels anyway. I think it's 24.5" but shouldn't make a difference to pixel density over a 24".

Associate
If you're not worried about high hz and response times, just get a nice IPS panel. You'll have a lot better image quality.

The only reason to go TN is if you want flat out high refresh rate and low response times.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
If you're not worried about high hz and response times, just get a nice IPS panel. You'll have a lot better image quality.

The only reason to go TN is if you want flat out high refresh rate and low response times.

I would like an IPS panel but they come with their own list of faults, at the moment I am between the AOC G2460PG and the Dell AW2518H but I am not sure which will have the better picture, they seem to have the same specs apart form the 144hz and 240hz and the dell is a lot more expensive. I cancelled my order for the dell as the price put me off and I will try out the AOC first.

I play Miscreated online a lot and CS:GO now and then, I really don't understand how 4ms can make a difference with a monitor but it's the IPS glow etc that puts me off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom