Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR

Caporegime
You need to stop comparing apples to oranges. Not everyone wants a 55" screen on their desk. Not everyone wants to be limited to 60Hz. Some users want G-SYNC as well. OLED technology is great and everything, but the current TVs with the technology are in no way direct replacements for the PC monitors on the desks of most users.

Of course size will be the main concern for a lot of people but all I am saying is that if you have got £1500 to spend, then you would be mental to pay that for a 27" LCD 4k monitor.

Also, looking at the specs required for proper HDR, I will be shocked if any of these upcoming LCD monitors, especially IPS panels actually meet said HDR requirements. Afaik, none of the current IPS monitors on the market meet the peak brightness level nor the black level required for it let alone come anywhere close to said values?

Yes no doubt this monitor will be great but assuming it is priced at £1500+, that is just crazy money and yes I know, monitor and TVs have very different markets thus TVs can be priced cheaper but it still doesn't change the fact that monitor market is a rip off these days and I've seen more and more people on various forums getting annoyed at the pricing to the point where they now use a TV as a monitor instead, even going out of their way to make room for these big TVs, personally I will likely be doing the same :(

EDIT:

Also, I don't expect people to be completely replacing their monitors for TVs for all types of usage, merely just to have a bog standard monitor for work, internet etc. basic usage and the TV for all media and gaming content. The lack of sync tech is certainly a big downer though...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Of course size will be the main concern for a lot of people but all I am saying is that if you have got £1500 to spend, then you would be mental to pay that for a 27" LCD 4k monitor.

Also, looking at the specs required for proper HDR, I will be shocked if any of these upcoming LCD monitors, especially IPS panels actually meet said HDR requirements. Afaik, none of the current IPS monitors on the market meet the peak brightness level nor the black level required for it let alone come anywhere close to said values?

Yes no doubt this monitor will be great but assuming it is priced at £1500+, that is just crazy money and yes I know, monitor and TVs have very different markets thus TVs can be priced cheaper but it still doesn't change the fact that monitor market is a rip off these days and I've seen more and more people on various forums getting annoyed at the pricing to the point where they now use a TV as a monitor instead, even going out of their way to make room for these big TVs, personally I will likely be doing the same :(

EDIT:

Also, I don't expect people to be completely replacing their monitors for TVs for all types of usage, merely just to have a bog standard monitor for work, internet etc. basic usage and the TV for all media and gaming content. The lack of sync tech is certainly a big downer though...

If I was buying this to connect to my PC then G-Sync and 100+Hz and the much lower input latency would be a must even at that price. Anything under ~38-40" isn't great for 4K though IMO and I still won't be adopting 4K for general gaming.

Associate

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i'd buy this and a 1080 Ti if it was 32" my acer 4k 60fps is so 2016 :cool:

Try 2014, had mine since then and as it looks like it will have taken 3 years for something better to come out :)

Interesting. So this would mean NVIDIA created an entirely new Displayport 1.3/1.4 G-Sync chip.

Not caring for 27" though, doesn't really show off the benefit of 4K.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/04/rog-pg27uq-intro/

Oh wow, not till Q3. Jeez. So in Asus timeline that means Q4.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...?ClickID=azkvylrryr9n0zz0zrk5pyolayvk5prlnsks

The Acer actually looks better IMO. Going to be a LONG wait for the new king of gaming displays at the end of this year.

Would prefer 32" myself also so it is easier on the eye keeping 100% windows scaling, but not sure what you mean 27" does not show the benefit of 4K. I either do not understand what you mean, or it is a ridiculous statement. Higher PPI is better is it not? It definitely makes things look better in games, so much sharper which I really like :)

Man of Honour
the suggested retail price from Asus actually isn't that bad, unless they whack on a premium over here in the UK

With a high resolution, high refresh rate, and phenomenal picture, the ROG Swift PG27UQ is versatile enough for gaming, entertainment, and content creation. It’s scheduled to arrive in North America in Q3 for $1199.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
the suggested retail price from Asus actually isn't that bad, unless they whack on a premium over here in the UK

Seems over priced to me. For that kind of money it needs to be OLED or something.

Will wait and see what Freesync 2 monitors come out and how they are priced before I pull the trigger. Wanted an OLED monitor, but that seems like a few years away :(

Soldato
Seems over priced to me. For that kind of money it needs to be OLED or something.

Will wait and see what Freesync 2 monitors come out and how they are priced before I pull the trigger. Wanted an OLED monitor, but that seems like a few years away :(

OLED/QLED would be ideal, but the technology simply isn't ready at this stage for monitors. I feel ASUS will justify the price no problem:

- 144Hz UHD (first of its kind, depending on release date) with DP 1.4.
- IPS-type
- ROG SWIFT range
- G-SYNC HDR.

Don't underestimate the importance of this last point. It's the first (again, depending on release date) consumer monitor to feature a full array (local dimming) backlight. And the first screen anywhere near this small to use such a technology. It will provide contrast ratios that are completely unheard of for any LCD monitor.

Associate
Would be fun trying to power this.I feel short with a txp at 3440x1440 100Hz, although most of that could possibly be bad gpu optimisation.

Caporegime
3440x1440 is a PITA to run for a lot of the new demanding games (especially when a lot of them are poorly optimised), 4k is even more power hungry, which kind of makes this display a bit pointless in some ways... as the only ones who will get the "full" benefit of the 100+HZ refresh rate with 4k are the ones that will have at least 2 of nvidia's next gen top end GPUs and even then SLI support isn't that great (+ supposedly SLI combined with gsync brings more issues, a few people say they notice micro stutter). In some ways you would be better of waiting until we have a single GPU capable of running 4K +100HZ with satisfactory settings and then look at HDR 4K 100+HZ displays as by that time, you will not only have a larger selection of 4K 100+HZ HDR displays but they will also be cheaper.

I suppose this is where having it be a 27" display is an advantage in some ways as for those really demanding games, you could always just drop down to 2560x1440, still have a good PPI and a **** ton more FPS, however.... if you have to do that for most of the games currently out and coming out over the next 1-2 years, what was the point of buying one in the first place :/

Regarding pricing, don't forget to factor in brexit and UK gouging so my bet is that it will be at least £1500 :p :o

If I was buying this to connect to my PC then G-Sync and 100+Hz and the much lower input latency would be a must even at that price. Anything under ~38-40" isn't great for 4K though IMO and I still won't be adopting 4K for general gaming.

Different strokes for different folks and all that :p

Personally for myself, IQ will always be the number 1 priority and the superior IQ of OLED would more than make up for the lack of sync tech. + higher input lag.

Obviously for multiplayer games like BF etc. I would still want to be using a monitor with <15ms input lag over a 25+ms TV and of course any internet/work/basic usage, I would still use my monitor.

I hope you like IPS glow.

Don't forget the bleed issues :p

Given that even Samsung's new VA monitors are plagued with issues as well now, this just shows how QC has dropped massively over the last few years for monitors.

Back
Top Bottom