Asus RT-N56U owners

Man of Honour
I haven't seen an owners thread for this router, and since it seems to get mentioned a lot, I thought a thread may prove useful to existing owners and anyone thinking about buying one.

I've had mine for a few months now, and one of the first things I did was to put the custom firmware on it found here. The reason I put this on is that I often need VPN access to home and having a VPN server on my router is much more ideal than having it on my PC. I must admit that at first I had a number of issues with the VPN server, but now with the latest release (which changes the menu system somewhat, definitely for the better, such as hotlinks for MAC address lookups for connected clients) it's rock solid.

I think the stock firmware has this new menu system as well since the one above is based on it, so if you haven't checked for an update recently, I'd recommend looking for one.

I couldn't comment, sorry, since I haven't used the OE firmware at all. I'm unsure what other benefits there are other than VPN server, though the notes on the page I linked might explain some more.

Are you using the standard RT-N56U custom firmware VPN configuration? Does it connect? Is the IP not hidden by default?

I'm using the custom firmware. All I did was activate the VPN part, put in a username and password for two users, allocate the IP addresses and that was it. I can connect to the VPN fine, allowing me access to network devices when out and about but I'm still showing as on the public IP rather than my home IP.

Are you using the standard RT-N56U custom firmware VPN configuration? Does it connect? Is the IP not hidden by default?

I'm using the custom firmware. All I did was activate the VPN part, put in a username and password for two users, allocate the IP addresses and that was it. I can connect to the VPN fine, allowing me access to network devices when out and about but I'm still showing as on the public IP rather than my home IP.

KIA, any idea on this? Not long back from Europe and missed this ability.

Back
Top Bottom