• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS TUF 3080 same as OC version?

Soldato
Not sure why people want higher limits, all the OC tests have shown it just isnt worth it.
People would mock the AMD vega cards for their power draw.

Max efficiency on ampere seems to be around 280w and after that diminishing returns start to kick in.

The fact that nvidia chose to clock these higher than 280w for small gains seems to mean they think AMD will be close this time around.

Associate
Hi all, regarding the Asus TUF 3080, can anyone who has one confirm the total max height? It says 12.6cm on the Asus website and online stores but the PCI-e bracket should be 11cm I think and the raised part at the far end seems way more than 1.6cm above that.

Need to know as my case can only fit a 13.5cm card including 8 pin power plugs. Thanks in advance for replies

Associate
I've got the tuf ordered but part of me keeps thinking I should have gone oc... Even though from what people have said they will probably be very similar after tweaking the non oc a bit.

Associate
I've got the tuf ordered but part of me keeps thinking I should have gone oc... Even though from what people have said they will probably be very similar after tweaking the non oc a bit.

I was thinking the same but I do reckon you’ll be able to OC the standard one almost, if not just as well. Just depends if the power limit is the same.
Either way, they aren’t great Overclockers so I wouldn’t worry.

Associate
I was thinking the same but I do reckon you’ll be able to OC the standard one almost, if not just as well. Just depends if the power limit is the same.
Either way, they aren’t great Overclockers so I wouldn’t worry.
I don't understand why people say they aren't great overclockers when cards seem to boost into the high 1900mhz

Last edited:
Associate
I don't understand why people say they aren't great overclockers when cards seem to boost into the high 1900mhz

I meant performance wise. It isn’t a great boost on FPS. My 980ti got around 20-25 percent overclocked and I’m sure the 1080ti and 2080ti got a pretty good boost too. The 3080 doesn’t seem to be gaining a huge amount more FPS when overclocked.

Soldato
Has anyone found a review of the non OC model or a pcb layout to verify its the same as the OC model? I'm hoping I'm far enough up the preorder list to get one in the first batch. Not holding my breathe mind :rolleyes:

Just wondering if physically they are the same, and if in future a bios flash will change mine to the OC.

My Google skills are failing me.

Ta

Soldato
Looks like it won't be long before I can answer my own questions.

Got a shipping email from OCUK earlier today, should have the TUF 3080 (non OC) tomorrow. :D
Can't wait.

If anyone is interested, I managed to place an order at 2:11pm on the 17th. Pure luck I think.

Associate
Looks like it won't be long before I can answer my own questions.

Got a shipping email from OCUK earlier today, should have the TUF 3080 (non OC) tomorrow. :D
Can't wait.

If anyone is interested, I managed to place an order at 2:11pm on the 17th. Pure luck I think.
Please give us updates on how it boosts.

I tactically... ordered at the back of the queue so have plenty of time to change my mind.

The none OC version is the way to go for a less problematic experience. ;)

techpowerup user said:
I use Corsair HX 1000W platinum PSU and guess what MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X keeps crashing to the desktop when playing games. I could easily run 2x EVGA 1080TI & 10700K OC to 5.1Ghz without a single crash so it's surely not a PSU thing. Lowering base clock via afterburner to 1440 MHz and boost to 1710 MHz seems to solve the problem in my case. It sucks paying price premium over FE and have to settle for the same clocks in the end.

This is the risk you take with factory OCs on a new product launch.
They can end up pushing things a little too far and not all the chips can handle it.
Especailly if there is no real binning process at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Have to remember OC clock speeds were being decided by AIB's right up to the last few weeks of the launch.
The stock base clocks would have been well tested internally and verified stable by NVIDIA long before AIB's would have been sampling the chips.

But I do suspect the ASUS TUF factory OC will be fine as the factory OC applied is quite conservative.
And the PCB design and cooling solution is a fair bit more robust than some of the other budget cards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom