Asus working on unlocked multi for retail Core 2 Duo & 975X chipsets

Associate
Has anyone seen this article from AnandTech, the quote below is from the last page of the article "Our Thoughts".

ASUS has told us they are not finished with this "Conroe Unlock" feature and that they are working on BIOS revisions to also bring Core 2 Duo unlock to 975X chipset motherboards. We have seen hardware modifications to the Intel 975 BadAxe that allow unlocking, and it would be great if ASUS can accomplish the same with a simple 975 BIOS upgrade, as they have on the P5B Deluxe.

ASUS P5B: New BIOS Adds Unlocking & Improved Overclocking

Soldato
d.chatten said:
Well Asus finaly did it, multi unlock for conroe on P5W DH Deluxe 975X with the release bios 1407, it's now available on the Asus support website and FTP site, link to FTP download below.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe bios 1407

Id be suprised it it did as there a 3 page thread about this bios on XS and not one mention about unlocked multis.

Associate
OP
Devious said:
Id be suprised it it did as there a 3 page thread about this bios on XS and not one mention about unlocked multis.
I've upgraded my bios to this new 1407 and believe me, it has unlocked multi downward (6 > 9) on my P5W DH Deluxe and retail E6600, the option in the bios is under "CPU Configuration".

Soldato
This really does go to show that when two companies get their heads together they can really get publicity they don't deserve.
This whole thing came to light over a month ago when ASUS came out with this claim that their new BIOS allowed multiplyer unlock.
Anandtech jumped all over it, told us all how amazing this was and then told us that not a single tested CPU could be clocked upwards.

So here we are with literally thousands of Conroe CPU's in peoples machines.
Many of these powered by ASUS motherboards and so far not a single person has reported that their CPU can magically be clocked upwards.
All ASUS have done is allowed you to clock downwards - something that other manufacturers have already been able to do without the song & dance.

As with late P2's, P3's and P4's the multiplyers are locked and everything cut so there is no magically getting an upwards movement on the multiplyer.
The only excepts to this are on some ES and the X6800.

Soldato
d.chatten said:
I've upgraded my bios to this new 1407 and believe me, it has unlocked multi downward (6 > 9) on my P5W DH Deluxe and retail E6600, the option in the bios is under "CPU Configuration".

1405 did downwards unlocks. We want upwards.

Soldato
You're not going to get unlocked multipliers upwards on non-XE chips.

Given that unlocking downwards is just a BIOS fudge of the same register that Speedstep changes to lower the multi on the fly.

There won't be unlocking upwards (beyond the set multiplier of the chip) on any retail chip other than XEs. If there is, I will go out and buy a hat - and then eat it.

Back
Top Bottom