Asus Xonar DX volume less than half.

Soldato
I was on my computer in GIMP and there was an update in the background which changed all my drivers (or at least reinstalled them all), checked from the system restore. So while the PC was on and audio not in use the volume attenuation has changed dramatically. I used to default to 18% in windows sound, now I'm at 54%. I tried doing a system restore and reinstalling the drivers, I went into my backup OS (win 7 pro 64bit) and the sound was still low there.

I found my onboard audio enabled in the bios so I switched that off (its the first thing I do). Just to state the obvious I've been through windows sound settings (3 places) and Uni Xonar control panel (will check Asus panel now).

I've been considering looking for a guide to replace some components on the board but none found. Been looking at another sound card, I heard the creative uses software to create surround for stereo headphones (which the Xonar DX does in hardware). The Asus STX II 7.1 is over £200. I have a pair of Audio Technica M50X with detachable wire and a Spez microphone.

I have not tried reinserting my sound card or trying on board audio.

Edit: I fixed it by going to the Asus control panel, there was a volume slider I missed (because I installed 3rd party Uni Xonar drivers with its own low DPC latency version of control panel). $(%£ windows update.

I think the Audio Techica M50X headphones are great, and my Asus Xonar has been trucking for 15-20 years.

Edit 2:
A related problem of mic not working was fixed by following step 2 here:
http://maxedtech.com/troubleshoot-and-fix-microphone-problems-in-windows/
Now not only does my mic work, I was almost deafened by my own voice when I had the volume up and the signal is a lot bigger than normal. A total transformation and it didn't require any outlay or use of my soldering iron (still waiting for a reason I bought it).

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
Yea an easy oversight under mixer on the xonar panel has 2 sliders max those
My windows volumes at 5-7% normally as i use a headphone amp you have to turn the knob a little to get channel balance

still rocking my ancient one too no sign of cap leaks or bursts yet i'd imagine it's an easy repair with even caveman soldering skills

Soldato
OP
After running the windows troubleshooter I've never had volume this loud! I'm on 8% watching youtube videos, before I fixed it I was on 88%.

Back
Top Bottom