Asus Z390 extreme

zia

zia

Associate
Just a quick question does populating the dimm.2 with 2 m2 ssd disable any sata ports? have read the manaul but carn't see any mention of it.
Also in configuration does enabling dimm .2 + pcie 2 . does pcie 2 drop speed to x8?

Zia

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks what about if you just run only one M2 on dimm .2?still drop to x8?

Zia

Same. Drops to 8x. You simply cannot use the dimm.2 slot and keep 16x, as this slot is tied to the cpu lanes and you only have 16 of them.

The only way to maintain 16x with ssds (m.2) is to use the m.2 slots tied to the PCM chipset bandwidth. Meaning the slots under the chipset cover.

zia

zia

Associate
OP
Same. Drops to 8x. You simply cannot use the dimm.2 slot and keep 16x, as this slot is tied to the cpu lanes and you only have 16 of them.

The only way to maintain 16x with ssds (m.2) is to use the m.2 slots tied to the PCM chipset bandwidth. Meaning the slots under the chipset cover.

Which i assume will disable 2 of the sata ports...... ... unfortunely i need at least 6 sata ports and at least 1 m2 slot
only other option is either go for the asrock board which gives 8 sata ports

Zia

Associate
Right.

With that type of need quite frankly i'd be looking at a X299 motherboard plus a 9800x (Skylake-X refresh), has all the lanes you need without worries and should clock near a 9900k, withing a 200 to 300mhz range i'd say and the price is close enough..

Back
Top Bottom