"at" Command

Associate
Hi

I am a beginner when it comes to unix so be gentle. :p

I am using the “at” command to run a command line program which starts a download at 10pm.
I did a test run and the program ran successfully and using “top” I could see that it was running.

My question is how do I see the progress off the download as when I run it normally I am shown its status in the terminal.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
I thought 'at' was really for running Windows jobs?

If your learning I would suggest looking at scripting and cron.

I attempted to use cron but could not get it working. I will have a look at cron as its probably a more permanent solution.

I was looking at just having a quick and dirty way of getting this to run until I can get my head around cron.

Unix AT command information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_(Unix_command)

Associate
OP
I'm just guessing at this since I haven't time to test it, but perhaps you can pipe the command to a text file where it (might) write the verbose output for your perusal.

I ask that a seasoned bash veteran comment on this.

Thanks that works well. The output is not very well formatted and I can see the text file getting very big but it works. Thanks again :)

Soldato
You could alternatively redirect output to a shell. Open up a terminal and type in 'tty', that'll tell you what console your on. Then simply run your command and redirect output to it; ./myscriptcommandwhatever > /dev/tty0 for example.

Associate
Hmm, it's getting very big? I hope that it's not piping the data from the download into the text file. :p

I shouldnt think so, should be piping the output of wget or w/e program hes d/ing with. If it updates frequently to show transfer rate etc it could increase rapidly quite quickly.

Edit: But maybe the smiley suggests you knew that :p

Back
Top Bottom