• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

At last, a RTX3090, advice until MB,CPU Bundle

Associate
Since October 2020 I have been wanting to upgrade, but unable to acquire a RTX30 series GPU. I have at last just got one. I was really looking for a RTX3080, but a RTX3090 was for sale. Picking it up Sunday or Monday. I can now order a MB, CPU, Ram bundle, but may as well go for the 11th gen Intel Rocket Lake, due for release 30th March. In the meantime, can I replace the the existing GTX980Ti with the RTX3090. For those who can not see my present system spec:- Intel Core i7 6700K, on a Asus Maximus VIII Hero, with 32GB DDR4 Ram, and fast SSD's. Oh yes my 860w PSU will be OK. Or should I wait until I get my upgrade MB, CPU, Ram bundle? Advice Please. At least the RTX3090 will suffice for a long time to come. Ideal for MS Flightsim 2020 in VR, which I cant play in VR at the moment.

Soldato
Since October 2020 I have been wanting to upgrade, but unable to acquire a RTX30 series GPU. I have at last just got one. I was really looking for a RTX3080, but a RTX3090 was for sale. Picking it up Sunday or Monday. I can now order a MB, CPU, Ram bundle, but may as well go for the 11th gen Intel Rocket Lake, due for release 30th March. In the meantime, can I replace the the existing GTX980Ti with the RTX3090. For those who can not see my present system spec:- Intel Core i7 6700K, on a Asus Maximus VIII Hero, with 32GB DDR4 Ram, and fast SSD's. Oh yes my 860w PSU will be OK. Or should I wait until I get my upgrade MB, CPU, Ram bundle? Advice Please. At least the RTX3090 will suffice for a long time to come. Ideal for MS Flightsim 2020 in VR, which I cant play in VR at the moment.

Yes you can replace your 980ti with the 3090 on that system. I did same too when I got mine I had a x99 5930k at time. I would replace it and make sure it works right in case it's DOA or has some fault.

Associate
Congrats, if I was in your position I would pop it in the old system and run a few benchmarks and compare them to benchmarks for the 11th gen when that is in place, just for fun to see the difference

Last edited:
Associate
I personally would switch to AMD 5900X as more cores and just as good single core as 11900K and for less money now also as Intel dont allow overclocking on all the CPU's or Ram on some motherboards i don't like giving those tightwads money lol
Edit: Also the 11th gen rocket Lake are very toasty and power hungry as having been back ported to 14nm

Associate
OP
I personally would switch to AMD 5900X as more cores and just as good single core as 11900K and for less money now also as Intel dont allow overclocking on all the CPU's or Ram on some motherboards i don't like giving those tightwads money lol
Edit: Also the 11th gen rocket Lake are very toasty and power hungry as having been back ported to 14nm
I appreciate your input about the AMD CPU's and GPU's, but I am no technical wiz-kid. My early 3 PC's from the 90's to the early 2000's were all AMD based CPU's. All the AMD CPUs failed, YES all 3, what chance of that happening! Since then I have always and will always stay with Intel. Probably AMDs CPU's and GPU's may perform a little better, but for someone like me, I would not notice the difference. All I want is for MS Flightsim 2020 to run smooth in ultra or high settings in normal and especially VR mode, which I should get especially after the new MB CPU RAM Bundle in April. At the moment Flightsim 2020 is a bit jerky in normal mode on Med to High, but VR is unplayable.

Associate
AMD have come on a long way since the 90s lol Ryzen is a great platform and you may struggle to get an 11th gen Intel for a while if the current pc market is anything to go by lol I've had a 3900x mining monero full pelt for the past 12 months and it hasn't skipped a beat just make sure you don't skimp on a motherboard especially for Intel as some of the lower boards only let RAM work at a slower speed

Soldato

I'm also upgrading from a 6700k to a 11900k. I managed to pickup a 3080 in November in a physical store, though now running into situations where games need more than 4 cores, so uptime time is in order!

Just to warn you - on this forum, you'll be met with a very toxic group of people who refuse to accept that some people prefer Intel. They laugh at you, insult you and will stalk you from thread to thread, as they don't agree with your decision.

I chose the 11900k over the 5800x/5900x for the following:

1. Stability - I've had many friends have issues with their Ryzen 2000, 3000 and 5000 series CPU's. Crashes, memory coldboot issues, usb issues and simply failure requiring RMA. I don't want to bother myself with these issues.
2. Gaming performance - some games I play favour intel. I expect the 11900k to outperform the 5800x, 5900x in gaming, especially when clocked to 5.1/5.2/5.3Ghz all core
3. AVX - 512. One of the software packages I use supports this, and it'll simply run much faster as Ryzen doesn't support it

Powerdraw is also only ridiculously high when in AVX-512 applications, though the performance you're getting during that time is incredible, so is balances out. In non AVX code, such as games or other apps, the powerdraw isn't monstrously higher than Ryzen. Sure Ryzen is more efficient, though anyone with a 3080/3090 using 320/350W cares more about performance over power IMO!

I went for the Maximus Hero XIII, still waiting for the CPU, but seems a very solid board, build and layout wise. 4 M.2 slots is lovely also!

Associate
Removed as quoted deleted post

looks like 5800x is faster across most of the games tested, strange price point for intel to launch at with that considered

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I'm also upgrading from a 6700k to a 11900k. I managed to pickup a 3080 in November in a physical store, though now running into situations where games need more than 4 cores, so uptime time is in order!

Just to warn you - on this forum, you'll be met with a very toxic group of people who refuse to accept that some people prefer Intel. They laugh at you, insult you and will stalk you from thread to thread, as they don't agree with your decision.

I chose the 11900k over the 5800x/5900x for the following:

1. Stability - I've had many friends have issues with their Ryzen 2000, 3000 and 5000 series CPU's. Crashes, memory coldboot issues, usb issues and simply failure requiring RMA. I don't want to bother myself with these issues.
2. Gaming performance - some games I play favour intel. I expect the 11900k to outperform the 5800x, 5900x in gaming, especially when clocked to 5.1/5.2/5.3Ghz all core
3. AVX - 512. One of the software packages I use supports this, and it'll simply run much faster as Ryzen doesn't support it

Powerdraw is also only ridiculously high when in AVX-512 applications, though the performance you're getting during that time is incredible, so is balances out. In non AVX code, such as games or other apps, the powerdraw isn't monstrously higher than Ryzen. Sure Ryzen is more efficient, though anyone with a 3080/3090 using 320/350W cares more about performance over power IMO!

I went for the Maximus Hero XIII, still waiting for the CPU, but seems a very solid board, build and layout wise. 4 M.2 slots is lovely also!

Thanks for the non-partisan input Dave. I run whatever wins in terms of price/performance at the time, hence me running Intel CPUs up until last year.

Associate
Yeah unfortunately I'm the same, although I'm happy Intel are getting a direct competitor with chips to match it doesn't mean I'll ever buy one, all the AMD I once owned was either a ball ache to configure or just died on me, once bitten twice shy. With Intel all I have ever done is drop it in powered it up and pretty much been off and running straight away.

Associate
I guess swings and round abouts, I have had very little issue with my 2600X and 3700X but quite a few headaches with i74790K and i5 2500k in the past (random blue screens, bad performance, random restarts) and I am no youngster with PC's, seems more like luck of the draw.

Soldato
To the OP - before you upgrade have you actually fully tested out your 3090 yet in your current build? You may be surprised that it may do perfectly fine.

I’m running a 3090 on an intel i7 5930k at 4.5ghz, and to be honest in the games I play and the resolutions (4K 60, 3440x1440 up to 90, and soon VR at very high res), I’m not feeling the need to upgrade my CPU yet as I thought I might. Maybe it’s the 6 core 12 thread vs 4 core 8 thread difference??

I too am looking for flight sim 2020 nirvana and that’s the only game really that is giving me the upgrade itch. But, from what I’ve seen I’m not sure it will make that huge a difference upgrading my cpu etc. The game is a technical marvel but it has issues, needs dx12 support and from my own testing the stuttering etc that can occur is very much not just a cpu caused issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom