AT-LP120-USB to rega planar 1

FNG

FNG

Associate
Hi,

I currently have the audio technica at-lp120 and was thinking of 'upgrading' to a rega planar 1. Is this a worthy upgrade? I know I will need a phono stage amp as well (the lp120 has one built in), but fancied a change!

Thanks!

FNG

FNG

Associate
OP
It will be going through my av system, so a Marantz 6011, xtz spirit 5s and a bk200 providing the base. The Marantz has a phono stage built in, but I'm not sure of its quality.

Man of Honour
I take it that was just a typo and you have the Spirit 2 speakers as there isn't a Spirit 5 AFAICT. :)

Your system should have enough resolution to show the difference between the AT and the Rega. Painting in broad strokes then, the Rega should sound more focused, precise, revealing and agile than the AT. It could probably be summed up by saying they have a reputation as sounding lively and musical.

I was going to suggest looking at s/h Planar 3 or P3 as a serious upgrade for similar money, particularly if it comes with something better than the standard supplied cartridge which is almost always the first and biggest upgrade you'll make. However, the prices have gone daft. Even the Pro-Ject Debut and Debut Carbon which were pretty good value on the used market are starting to look pricey compared to new.

FNG

FNG

Associate
OP
Oops spirit 6! I have 2s for surrounds, but only use stereo for music.

Thanks for the advice. I was considering going higher up the brand, but like you found the second hand prices are getting daft! But I will keep my eyes open incase a reasonable one comes up.

Thanks!

Associate
Check out the record store day (this coming w/end) ltd edition rega deck, I have last years model, basically u get a p1 with many extras for the same money (mine came pimped up with plenty of p3 kit) . absolute bargain

Back
Top Bottom