Atari VCS

Associate
Was just reading about the Jaguar last night and how it failed in part because no-one knew much about what is was capable of and it's software (and also because it's pad was terrible). Given this is all we have regarding it's current functionality:
The company is still tight-lipped as to what you'll actually be able to do with the VCS, however. The system will come pre-loaded with Atari Vault, a 100-plus game collection of classic Atari games like Asteroids, Centipede and Missile Command. It will also reportedly be able to support "a full range of popular modern titles" though nobody knows what those will entail as of yet.

...I feel that Atari need to build up some hype a little better to try and make this a success. No amount of Ready Player One is going to make all 100 of those archaic games that desirable. Tempest might be worth firing up again but many other of those classics aren't. Also...no controller?? Wood panelled version looks nice though!

Soldato
I just cant see this being successful. Hardware wise it looks cool though. I think the likes of the 2600 library is just a little too old and basic to get people excited again.

Permabanned
Can we install Windows on it? :o

Would be useful as a mini PC for media and light gaming use. Being dedicated just to gaming seems a bit pointless considering it's not going to be that powerful, especially retro gaming.

Man of Honour
I'm happy they are doing well but cannot understand at all why. Who is buying this thing.

It's seriously expensive for something that really should be closer to the NES/SNES Classics. That's purely because it's actually quite nice hardware inside as opposed to a cheap ARM setup.
It's the fact they are trying to get modern games on it that doesn't fill me with confidence. Should have been a bit simpler and much cheaper. Do a Nintendo, take the vast pile of money and use it to develop something new.

A roller controller would be nice for Tempest though. It's the best way to play it.

Back
Top Bottom