• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 1950XT temps

Associate
Hi,

I just got my new system from the insurance bods and I'm pretty impressed with it. There are a few things which I ain't over keen oon but I'am grateful for finally getting somthing. One thing which is concerning me is the temp of my GPU. According to the catalyst control centre it is 75oC. What temp are these cards supposed to run at? should I be concerned. The actual air temp within the case is around 35oC. My CPU is watercooled and is around 35oC idle. The card seems to perform ok in BF2142 with everything on max and at a res of 1600x1200. I haven't checked the FPS. Though I'am more of a performance freak then eye candy dude. It would seem I can have the best of both worlds with this card.

The spec of m sys is:
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24" A03
Thermaltake Kandalf S/Tower 2 x 120mm intake 1x 120mm Exhaust
Thermaltake Rocket and bigwater something or other
Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP
P4 D 3.4 4mb cache
Kingston HyperX 2 GB DDR2
Hyper 750w PSU
Power Colour 1950XT 512mb
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio
2 x Pioneer SATA DVD Writer
Logitech G15 Gaming-Grade
Razer Copperhead laser Mouse

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers

B

Soldato
These cards are known to be quite toasty and it's not uncommon for them to hit 90c odd under load. If it's 75c at idle I'd say that's a little warm, I would think you should be aiming for 60-65c idle.

Associate
OP
Hey El Jim,

yeah my card is 65 idle then goes up to 75-80 under load.
Would using the ATI tools and the fan control option bring the temp down noticeably..? I was considering using W/cooling on the GPU, my CPU is already utilising some other W/c unit.

I have a spare zalman reserator 1 resevoir. Just need a few peripherals.
I'm not big on overclocking so the zalman kept the temps of my previous
system at respectable temps.

Alternatively....would an arctic cooler help gain better temps. It seems silly that they would release a card which hits such temps. I know it is a bit of a beast but 90c. Owch!

Cheers

B

Soldato
You could crank the fan up using ATT or ATI tool sure but then your graphics card will sound like a small aeroplane :)

If you didn't want to watercool the GPU but wanted better temps, you could try one of the following:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SY-008-ZA
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SY-002-AR

Bear in mind however that both of these will dump the hot air in your case instead of venting it out like the stock cooler does. I have a 120mm fan blowing over my x1800XT and the load temps are usually only about 65c if that so I dunno if there's some way you can improve the airflow in your case some more? I did find reseating the stock cooler with AS5 helped a bit also.

Associate
when ive been playing Titan Quest, with graphics setting on full, i have felt the air coming outta the GPU fan grill and mine also gets pretty damn hot. 10 mins after i shut the game down though it nice and cool again.

havent tried it for any other games yet, but i dont play that many that are as graphically intensive as TQ so...

Associate
OP
Yeah I think your right cranking up the fan will make it rather noisy. I would rather opt for water cooling I think. If it is hot now I cannot begin to imagine what it will be like in the summer. I think have to get rid of the air out of the case as I have the northbridge and southbridge on my mobo generating heat too. At least with W/c I can get more consistent cooling. I had it set up on my rig before it was robbed 4 months ago. It was silent and cool. Until then though I might have to tinker with the fan.

thanks for your feedback....

Benny

Soldato
what temp should i be looking at when gaming? i had about 65-67 while playing soldier of fortune 2. oh and can you recommend a good program to check all of my temps for cpu,gfx, etc... at the moment im using ati catalyst control centre for my gfx card and easytune5 for my cpu.

Associate
mines idling at 44 degrees. it has a sweet overclock too i think. anyone know where i can compare overclockers against a table of other ppl's results or the likes? ( not ORB though).

688 mhz core and 918 mhz using autoclock utility of CCC, on stock cooler. guessing thats good?

Associate
GAMEfreak said:
mines idling at 44 degrees. it has a sweet overclock too i think. anyone know where i can compare overclockers against a table of other ppl's results or the likes? ( not ORB though).

688 mhz core and 918 mhz using autoclock utility of CCC, on stock cooler. guessing thats good?

pretty good.

Mines at 36 idle and 60-65 load with stock fan, but i applied as5 to the core.

ive got overclocks depending on the game

normal 2d - 493mhz and 495mhz mem
Normal 3d Overclock: 675mhz core and 954mhz Mem
High 3d Overclock: 688mhz core and 1008mhz Mem

BTW: Has anybody got their core to go over 700mhz yet. I've but no matter what voltage i use the screen freezes then goes black, i put it back to 699mhz and everythings fine :confused:

Associate
yeah used ati tool there and pushed the memory last night. its now sitting at 680mhz ( for stability) and 1025 core !. w00t :D. my core was over 700mhz, not stable though. am on stock cooler lol. i set vcore to 1.445v and it was stable enough to run, but i got sparklies and stuff beyond 705mhz. also, it heats up crazily for me as again, i'm on the stock cooler.

Soldato
if your worried about temps change the cooler.

im using the hr-03 with akasa amber 12cm fan. my temps are:

gpu idle = 35c
gpu load = 58c
vrm load = 60c (this will depend on case cooling) i use antec 900.
peak current consumption flatlines at 27.62a when running artifact tester.

above temps are using my card overclocked as in the sig, load temps produced using tray tools artifact scanner.

your idle temps seem high, are you using vista areo?

Back
Top Bottom