• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/Nvidia Fan noise......

Soldato
This is aimed at all those who have jumped from an ATI X800 GTO/Pro/XL to a 6800GT or vice versa and have experience with the reference heatsinks of both.

Currently have a 6800GT in a Shuttle.

Previously, I was enjoying the sound of silence with a Zalman VF700 at 5v. The move to a Shuttle forced me to abandon this in exchange for the Nvidia reference cooler.

I hate it.

With the Fan speed at 50%, it makes my ears bleed. I've reduced it down to 25% wih Rivatuner but I'm still finding it loud!

What I really want to know is whats the ATI reference coolers like in terms of sound? Silent in Windows but ramps up to the noise of a hoover when under stress?

Seriously considering selling the 6800GT for a X800 type card if theres a massive noise difference between the coolers.

JKD

JKD

Associate
Have had about 3 6800GTs and I think about 4 x800 pro/Xt/XTPE cards. in all cases, the reference 6800GT cooler was pathetically loud. I really thought the x800 ref cooler was just fine, nice and quiet.

so yes, there is a massive noise difference in ATI's favour.

HTH.

Soldato
OP
I don't mind it so much ramping up in games (don't really play a lot, just the occasional CS:S) as long as its not excessively loud.

My main concern is when your in Windows and not stressing the card. Want it to be silent as possible with taking the Shuttle into consideration (so no massive coolers).

Back
Top Bottom