• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** ATI RADEON 7950 OVERCLOCKING & HEAVEN RESULTS!! **

Associate
How does that BIOS differ?

I meant to say that it's a different link. Also it works for me but the other didn't, It just gave me a black screen after the Windows logo at start-up.

Just a question, am I better off flashing the bios to 7970, so should I just whack the sliders up to 925MHz / 5500MHz in CCC?

I'm back on the 7950 bios now as there wasn't a very big performance increase when playing games. I'm at 1050/1500 now which i'm quite happy with.

The 7970 bios core voltage is set at around 1173mV I think, so you could match that on the 7950 bios and see how far it will let you oc. The memory timings might be better on the Asus bios though. The max OC (in CCC) on the Asus bios is 1125MHz core.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone actually tweaked the memory voltage in AB?
I noticed in the Vortez review of the Powercolor PCS+ version they mentioned increasing it to help increase the memory clockspeed!

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone help me interpret my overclocking results please and offer advice on where to go next?

I am overclocking my 7950 and after an hour of careful moving and a few crashes on msi Kombustor I got to this overclock

1100mv
1000mhz core
1400mhz memory

Apparently that is pretty standard for a 7950. Unfortunately my case doesn't have great air flow so temps on the board when Kombustor was on levelled out at 71/72 degrees at 73% fan.

It passed 10-15 minutes of kombustor and then I ran ungine heaven 3.0 and it passed that without issue. I was surprised to see that despite the same amount of load, ungine had temps 10 degrees lower at 62. I take it that kombustor is like the intel burn test and is not to be considered realistic gaming temps?

The thing was that when I started to play oblivion (beautified with max graphics) it froze on the first screen. I figured it was the memory overclock and when I moved it down to 1375 the game ran fine and afterburner/gpu-z was reporting medium gpu usage and low temps (late 40's).

My fps were not great on oblivion in places but I take it that is because I am forcing supersampling on an old engine that is not best optimised with max everything at max distance.

Is it normal for kombustor and ungine not to pick up on memory instability?

Does it sound like I am safe to push the voltage and clock higher with my temps? Is 72 degrees on kombustor/62 on ungine bad or nothing to worry about?

How much difference does 50-100mhz really make? I bought a twin frozr iii to get a good overclock and justify the price but I don't want to go too far.

Back
Top Bottom