Atmos upgrade for Dali Zensor 7 (5.1) and Yamaha RXV-677

Soldato
I'm at the point now where the technology seems to have somewhat been laid out for future proofing audio/video for the latest formats.

My TV does 4K/HDR/DV and will probably get a firmware update for the HLG stuff.

I can't say the same for my audio setup, which was purchased 2 or 3 years ago.

My AVR does 4K passthrough, but does not support HDCP/HDR. I don't have the right speakers in place for proper Atmos support either I think as I am using the Dali Zensor 7 5.1 system, see http://exceptional-av.co.uk/dali-zensor-7-speaker-pack-5-1.html.

I'm interested in upgrading, as long as I can keep the cost sensible. By the looks of things I would certainly need a new AVR so perhaps some recommendations on a good replacement for the RXV-677?

For the Atmos speakers themselves, I understand the two accepted ways are using up-firing speakers that sit on top of the front ones, or even better having ceiling mounted ones. In terms of portability and ease of install I'd probably opt for the former. Dali have recently released the Alteco height speaker (https://www.dali-speakers.com/uk/loudspeakers/alteco-height-speakers/alteco-c-1/) which looks ideal, as it will match the setup as long as I buy it in black, and I can simply place them on top of the Zensor 7's.

Anyone here upgraded from 5.1 to full atmos support, experiences etc?

Soldato
personally I'd go for ceiling mount atmos speakers, although I do see the appeal and ease of setup of a speaker topped speaker.

Still on 7.1 myself due to cost of a new av pre.

Associate
Atmos and DTS X also allow for the use of height speakers rather than in ceiling or up firing, and those Dali's seem designed to be used as both up firing and height models.

Caporegime
I recently upgraded from 5.1 speakers to 5.1.2 Atmos.

Ceiling speakers are ideal of course, but I live in a rented house so obviously I wasn't about to cut holes in the ceiling

Luckily my ceiling/room is almost the optimum layout for upward firing speakers. It's nice and flat, approx 8-9 feet high and painted matt with no artex or anything that could affect the sound.

I already had a Denon 3200w that supports Atmos and my existing speakers are Q acoustic 3050 fronts, 3090 centre, 3010 rears and 3070 sub.

Unfortunately Q acoustics don't do any upwards firing speakers, so I opted for some PSB imagine XA speakers from Sevenoaks, after I had a demo in their test room.

They fit nicely on my speakers and blend in well enough.

I wouldn't say you can hear arrows pass by your head or anything, but they definitely give you a front to back affect and things like the rain in the new Blade Runner 4k UHD are really excellent at giving you....well atmosphere.

So certainly happy with my purchase, but ideally would have 5.1.4 or even 7.1.4 with ceiling speakers.

VincentHanna_Atmos01.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of the replies, keep em coming :)

I have been considering the upfiring vs ceiling speakers and I really don't think retro-fitting them is going to be easy, and I don't know quite how long I will be living here for, so I am thinking the upfiring mode will be easiest/best for me.

The Dali Alteco ones i linked should be ideal as they would fit nicely into the Dali "sound stage" and would not sound out of place one hopes.

For the AVR I think it would be fair to say my budget is under £500 unfortunately, may change in the future but I can't justify spending extra right now, especially as I still need the atmos speakers to make it 5.1.2.

On this basis it looks like the best AVR to get would be;

Denon 2300 - seems hard to find a good stockist any more
Denon 2400 - more expensive than the 2300 but seemingly not much different
Denon 3300 - last years range was nicely reduced in places, but again stock is harder to find

Soldato
Atmos AVR means more amplifier channels, so I doubt most midrange AVR's with 7 + 2/4 or whatever have the same power output as a 7 channel AVR, unless you start spending more money.

Soldato
I recently upgraded from 5.1 speakers to 5.2.1 Atmos.

Ceiling speakers are ideal of course, but I live in a rented house so obviously I wasn't about to cut holes in the ceiling

Luckily my ceiling/room is almost the optimum layout for upward firing speakers. It's nice and flat, approx 8-9 feet high and painted matt with no artex or anything that could affect the sound.

I already had a Denon 3200w that supports Atmos and my existing speakers are Q acoustic 3050 fronts, 3090 centre, 3010 rears and 3070 sub.

Unfortunately Q acoustics don't do any upwards firing speakers, so I opted for some PSB imagine XA speakers from Sevenoaks, after I had a demo in their test room.

They fit nicely on my speakers and blend in well enough.

I wouldn't say you can hear arrows pass by your head or anything, but they definitely give you a front to back affect and things like the rain in the new Blade Runner 4k UHD are really excellent at giving you....well atmosphere.

So certainly happy with my purchase, but ideally would have 5.4.1 or even 7.4.1 with ceiling speakers.

VincentHanna_Atmos01.jpg

I'd try and raise your center speaker higher, or maybe above the TV. You want it inline as much as possible (which is totally impossble of course if it's exactly inline) You really need some carpet in front of the speakers also.

Soldato
OP
Atmos AVR means more amplifier channels, so I doubt most midrange AVR's with 7 + 2/4 or whatever have the same power output as a 7 channel AVR, unless you start spending more money.

Yeah I'm probably not going to be able to really, whatever I get really needs to be under £500 or so. Last years X3300W looks good though from Denon if you can find it, under £500 for an AVR that was £800 or so at new.

Caporegime
I'd try and raise your center speaker higher, or maybe above the TV. You want it inline as much as possible (which is totally impossble of course if it's exactly inline) You really need some carpet in front of the speakers also.

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't agree about the centre speaker, it's fine and I've always had centre speakers below the TV.

I can't carpet anything as it's rented, this is my view from my sofa:

VincentHanna_Atmos02.jpg

Soldato
OP
Struggling to find stock on the old Denon's at reasonable prices, I've seen the Marantz SR6011 at £650 though, which seems reasonable. Worth a punt at that if I can sell my old one for £100~ or so (Peter Tyson offered me £70 for it)?

Associate
The Marantz 6011 is on par with the Denon 3300 I believe.

Marantz and Denon are owned by the same parent company, so most of their receivers are very similar. Marantz doesn't really have a flagship contender though, as the top end Marantz (7011) sits much closer to the mid range Denon 4300. The Denon 6300 and the 7200 are a league above.

Soldato
OP
So back to the Denon 3300W being a reasonable option then, as long as I can get it for the right price? Seems from HUKD that it's been up for around 500 a few times in the past, but it's probably EOL and no new stock arriving.

Associate
Sorry that should say 3400 not 3300. The Marantz 6010 is on par with the 3300 as they're both last years models. The biggest difference between this year and last is the inclusion of HEOS on this years models. So, the 6010 should be on your radar also. Another shout is the Marantz 5011. It's basically a Denon 2300. Easier to get hold of though as the 5011 had a higher RRP. They're the same inside bar the Marantz is a little better musically.

Soldato
OP
I've spent quite a bit of time this weekend and today reading about the various options, and in the end I have placed an order via Amazon (sold by Nottingham Hifi) for the X3300W with shipping date currently set for Thursday so I have time to change my mind...

So far from what I can tell it's a solid performer, at £519 it's not breaking the bank, not quite as good as the £499 it has been but stock seems to be running low. I am not intending to expand the system beyond the 7 channels it supports for a while, probably years, and it's supporting all of the current things I need it to support.

Will sell my old AVR hopefully fetch around £100 for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a Yamaha rx 781 and I've been very happy with it. I had a Denon Avrx 2000 prior to it.

The Denons are very well regarded but stock is becoming an issue. I've said it in a few threads now but the Denon mobile app is utterly crap. Yamahas is far far better.

Back
Top Bottom