Audeze Maxwell

Associate
I just ordered a set of these, due for delivery Wednesday hopefully. Does anyone have a set yet please? Seen a few comments regarding low volume over wireless (60db) compared to wired (80db), but overall feedback seems great so far.

Associate
I have a 6 year old pair of Monoprice Monolith M1060 that would love to go wireless. Mind, the drivers are slightly smaller on the Maxwell, but would probably make a killer mixed use headset for remote work as well.

I have friends who vouch for Audeze's gear in general while i can vouch for the planar-sound.

edit: bought a pair just now... looking forward to trying it out

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered a set as my Mobius have failed structurally. Still work perfectly electronically. Tried AUdeze UK and they said they wont do anything and told me to contact Audeze US. Bit annoyed that the headband plastics failed in multiple areas. The plastic used doesn't seem to like many glues either. WIsh I'd treated them more roughly and got them to fail sooner, then I could have had a set under warranty. Bit miffed about that and buying another Audeze set.

The Maxwell's I've been reading are really hard to get hold of and there's some teething issues. unbalanced sound L&R and the wireless sound limits like OP says.

Disgruntled that there is no way of replacing some plastic parts from a design by Hyper X - found some 3D printing designs that I may use to revive them. Shame to chuck them due to some plastic costing pence.

Went FOMO on order as read these are hard to find stock with. I was drawn by the XBoX dolby atmos but I did see an Audeze rep on Reddit say if you don't have an xbox, save your money as the playstation version 3D sound is just as good.

Was really pleased with the sound performance with the Mobious - 3D sound - even for music sounded really good. And they went loud.

Associate
Mine just arrived - currently testing out on my MacBook, updating firmware -- seems like relatively plug and play.

Using the dongle, I can see Chat-Maxwell and Game-Maxwell outputs, not really sure how different each one is sticking with Game -- I assume that if certain games support the game/chat mix you can have different output devices, and therefore independently controlled volumes.

Adjusting the straps was a bit fiddly, but can be done without unscrewing the headband.

Last edited:
Associate
For a closed set of cans, I'm liking the sound more than I thought I would. It's very similar to my Monoprice planars, but a little darker and without the annoying sibilance.

I've read there are L/R volume imbalances but I can't seem to tell, they get plenty loud though my volume slider is around 90%. Compared to my Monoprice, they're ultra loud at 1/12th of the volume knob of a Schitt Fulla/2.

They are technically lighter than my wired planars, but the set is also killing my neck today.

The Audeze HQ App seems a bit useless, worked well enough to update firmware but now will not detect the headphones as connected via dongle.

Turned off Sidetone (though FW .32 disables it by default) as I was surprised about the amount of white noise present.

Associate
Now that I've had a chance to use them overnight, volume differences by OS are interesting.

On Mac, I need about 80-90% volume for things to sound punchy, I can get by with 50% on Windows 11. Both in dongle mode.

Used them with the Dolby Atmos for Headphones app on Windows 11 to play a certain wizard game, was a lot more immersive than any pair of headphones I've used previously.

In line with YT reviews, the Maxwell are great if you prioritise sound quality over your cans being bass cannons.

Soldato
Mine were delivered yesterday, a replacement for my broken Penrose which I had for just over 2 years (fantastic service from Audeze UK/HFH I might add) and the Maxwell are a step up and an improvement in almost every way on the already fantastic Penrose. Built quality is very impressive, they're built like a tank.

Music with the 'immersive' EQ is fantastic, I'm no audiophile but I enjoy a good set of cans, I listened to a good range of songs yesterday from the guitars of Dire Straits Money for nothing which felt like they were inside my head, to the ridiculous bass of Mr Ozio Monday Massacre which reminded me of standing next to a 6ft speaker at a gig where you'd feel your whole body vibrating.

Battery life - my Penrose would give a 'low battery'' warning on a long gaming session after about 6-8hrs, so probably 10hrs on a good day. I simply charged them after every session so it wasn't a big issue. The Maxwell though... After about 5hrs of gaming on MW2 the battery shown in the phone app was at 95%.

MW2 gaming with the 'footsteps' EQ is really good, I can track players footsteps around me without any issues. Id probably go back to the immersive setting for single player games.

Mic quality is excellent too, noise suppression on low is the sweet spot - on high I was told my voice was a bit deeper and more muffled than on the other settings. Low provides just the right amount of noise cancellation for me, I'm not in a noisy environment.

Zero audio level issues for me, with the volume in the PS5 settings at max I'm at around 60-70% for a comfortable level in game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Deffo agree they are much sturdier with more metal in the headband.

Because I'd looked after mine and they failed later due to the fact, Audeze will only offer me a B grade replacement for the Mobius that I have toi ship the old set and pay for the import of another set, that will, ultimately fail in the end.

Wish I'd treated them more roughly so they failed earlier.

Here I am moaning and I still bought another set from Audeze.

@TallPaul_S I see you have DT990's in your sig which are a decent set (I've never heard them), how you compare the DT990's to the MAxwell's?

Associate
Had my set a day now after previously having the Penrose (until a few month's ago when I went wired using HD560s and Beyer T1.2).

The Maxwell just feel many steps above the Penrose as soon as they come out of the box, far better materials, more comfortable despite the extra weight and a much slicker experience all round. These really feel like something that warrants the price and more. Using mine for work use during the day (Teams and phone calls etc) and then some PS5 gaming last night (an hour or two). I've only lost about 10% battery in about 8 hours usage so far which is really impressive. When not in meetings I've constantly got music or video audio playing to them in the background and the switch to taking a phone call and back again is almost instantaneous which has been useful.

From an audio point of view - using my Penrose experience from memory - these sound a bit more spacious and a bit less 'shouty' - I've been using Audeze and Immersive modes so far. No issues here with the Audeze HQ PC or Android apps and they've worked flawlessly for phone calls with my iPhone also.

Really pleased so far!

Last edited:
Soldato
Deffo agree they are much sturdier with more metal in the headband.

Because I'd looked after mine and they failed later due to the fact, Audeze will only offer me a B grade replacement for the Mobius that I have toi ship the old set and pay for the import of another set, that will, ultimately fail in the end.

Wish I'd treated them more roughly so they failed earlier.

Here I am moaning and I still bought another set from Audeze.

@TallPaul_S I see you have DT990's in your sig which are a decent set (I've never heard them), how you compare the DT990's to the MAxwell's?
You know I haven't actually listened to my DT990's for a while, but I just hooked them back up to my Fiio K3 amp/DAC on my PC and did some switching back and forth with the Maxwell.

That's reminded me just good they sound! Apart from the obvious differences of open back Vs closed back, ie better separation and a slightly wider soundstage, I'd say the Beyers are a bit warmer, with the Maxwell having slightly more detailed highs. Tbh, there's not a huge amount in it, I do think the Maxwell's are just a little bit more detailed, and every so slightly crisper - tbh though it's quite hard to tell as the beyers, due to being open backed, have a quite different 'feel'. Comparing open and closed back headphones is always hard.

The DT990's aren't left in the wake of the Maxwell though, for sure - they hold up really well considering they're under £200 with an amp/DAC that I'm using.

Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile - I appreciate good audio on a good set of headphones.

Soldato
Anyone compare these with the Mobius?

After a few weeks of listening, and I need my Mobius fixed to do a proper comparison as I cant actually wear them (failed yolks), directionally in game not as good as the mobius and music, with 3D on just feels more immersive as the mobius has 7.1. Take off the 3D on the mobius and I reckon the Maxwells are better. Like TallPaul_S I'm no audiophile. But can appreciate good audio and appreciate magnetic-planars.

Having new yolks 3D printed for the mobius as electronically they are fine - probably why the MAxwells are made of metal, Mobius design was from Hyper X - no spare parts available - only headset from Audeze with no spares, except earpads.

Wouldnt upgrade to MAxwell if Mobius are working fine. More bluetooth functionality as can be wireless completely now.

Associate
Got mine yesterday to replace my HD58X jubilee and it has definitely been a step up in audio quality. Im no audiophile but everything is clearer and cleaner. Battery life is fantastic as well. Anyone of the fence with these should try them if possible but I think they are worth the price, especially if you want something wireless.

Associate
Just bought these. I found them uncomfortable with the stock pads, my left ear kept touching the driver. Ears got hot pretty quickly too. bought the WC FreeZe ear pads and feel much better. Surprisingly the headset sound great with music.

Associate
Just bought these. I found them uncomfortable with the stock pads, my left ear kept touching the driver. Ears got hot pretty quickly too. bought the WC FreeZe ear pads and feel much better. Surprisingly the headset sound great with music.
Are the WC FreeZe pads deeper? I have similar issue where ears touch and can hurt a bit after a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom