audigy fx - sff plate screws seized.

Associate
My audigy fx card arrived yesterday, however when i tried to swap the plate over to the SFF plate, the fixing screws have seized in place. I actually ruined 2 mini screw drivers trying to loosen them!

It also just arrived in bag and no manufacturers packaging which i though was strange too.

Anyway i have been back to the retailer (not OC btw) and they have said the packaging is normal as its an OEM part, OEM is in the description but there is no explanation to what this means.... anyway i can return it at my own cost, but wondered if there is anything i can do to help free the screws up to save the hassle of returning it.

would a dab of wd40 or similar do any harm? obviously this would jeopardize the return of the item but maybe worth a shot? if not i'll just send it back and reorder from another retailer.

Soldato
Yeah, sounds like OEM. Stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically with OEM labelled products, you get the essential items but without the box or maybe additional accessories. Saves on added cost.

I'd be surprised if the screws are that overly tight that they won't come undone. I think you need a more robust screw driver. I can imagine a finer one getting wrecked if they are that tight.

Not sure WD40 would help, because it's just the screw being overly tightened that is the problem. It's not rust for example that is making it hard to undo. Maybe worth a try though, if you can't undo them with a screwdriver that's a bit more fit for the job..

Associate
OP
Yeah, sounds like OEM. Stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically with OEM labelled products, you get the essential items but without the box or maybe additional accessories. Saves on added cost.

I'd be surprised if the screws are that overly tight that they won't come undone. I think you need a more robust screw driver. I can imagine a finer one getting wrecked if they are that tight.

Not sure WD40 would help, because it's just the screw being overly tightened that is the problem. It's not rust for example that is making it hard to undo. Maybe worth a try though, if you can't undo them with a screwdriver that's a bit more fit for the job..

they are wilkos screwdrivers to be fair so probably quite brittle although i had now problem with doing the same on graphics cards, maybe a trip to a more reputable tool store on my way home to get something more robust might be in order! however i have now ordered a replacement anyway, so either way one will be getting sold or sent back.

Soldato
Problem in making good screwdrivers is having just amount of hardening.
Have couple times had tip of screw driver break without any significant stress.

Though nothing tops what one hacksaw blade did.
One end of it had broken and it was used by hand for shortening plastic pipes used for electric wiring of buildings.
Suddenly it made very clear "BLINGG" sound and broke to four pieces like some glass!

Associate
OP
Problem in making good screwdrivers is having just amount of hardening.
Have couple times had tip of screw driver break without any significant stress.

Though nothing tops what one hacksaw blade did.
One end of it had broken and it was used by hand for shortening plastic pipes used for electric wiring of buildings.
Suddenly it made very clear "BLINGG" sound and broke to four pieces like some glass!

you fill me with confidence :D

i'll report back tomorrow, possibly with a soundcard in multiple pieces!

Soldato
i'll report back tomorrow, possibly with a soundcard in multiple pieces!
Circuit board would have certainly been more durable cutting tool than that one hacksaw blade.

Screws used for attaching rear plate to expansions cards I've seen really don't need any mini screw driver.
The one I use in working with PC parts has 4-5mm thick shaft.

Soldato
they are wilkos screwdrivers to be fair so probably quite brittle although i had now problem with doing the same on graphics cards, maybe a trip to a more reputable tool store on my way home to get something more robust might be in order! however i have now ordered a replacement anyway, so either way one will be getting sold or sent back.

If they are rather small ones that have a small handle, then I'm not surprised the screws seem to be seized up and hard to undo. With such a small screw driver, you can't get the force that you can with something that is longer and has a larger handle.

I've got a few small slim screwdrivers. OK for screws that are not too tight, but because the handles are slim, you can't get the force with tight screws; unless maybe you have a super powerful grip. :D

I mainly use a screwdriver that has a hexagonal slot and has a selection of magnetic bits of different sizes, which comes from a cheap set I got from Woolworths many years ago. Decent sized handle, so easier to get enough force for those tighter screws.

As Esat has said, I don't think you need a small screw driver for those type of screws. As long as the screwdriver head is a good fit, then it's more about the torque you can put through the screwdriver.

Screws on the compartment covers on the underside of laptops however, they often do require a finer slim screwdriver; but then, they are never that tight.

Associate
OP
got the screws out! bought some better screwdrivers on the way home last night and they did the job!

replacement card is coming today so looks like that will be getting sent back at my cost lol.

On the plus side the card is a major improvement on the standard headphone sound, could actually hear where noises are coming from on Fortnite!

Back
Top Bottom