Audio Books

Soldato
Does anyone else enjoy them? I've just started listening to them and have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed them. They do seem quite expensive; where do you buy yours? Also, any recommendations for narrators to follow/listen to as I'm sure some could really make a book stand out?

Soldato
OP
I discovered them recently and it makes driving to work so much more bareable. For free audiobooks just type into youtube the genre you're interested in followed by 'audiobook'. It seems a lot of people upload them! Working my way through all the alien vs predator stuff.

I do a fairly regular commute from Shetland to Glasgow and that's why I started listening as music and radio can get a bit samey. It's also great to be able to take in a book while doing stuff; easy to forget how restrictive reading is in terms of time consumption.

I tried to listen in bed last night, and can't remember a word. :p

Soldato
OP
I've just realised that if I borrow a book from Kindle Unlimited then I'm getting a big discount on the audio version. Example "We Are Legion" free on KU and then the audio book for £3.29. I'm not sure the Audible subscription is going to be worth it unless I get into some new releases. I've taken the 3 month introductory offer for Audible, so will see how this pans out as I understand credits accumulate.

Just thought I'd mention this in case others get use from it. :)

Soldato
OP
I tried "We are Legion" but just couldn't get into it and got a refund, which is a really great option from Audible. I'm currently listening to "The Institute" by Stephen King, and really enjoying it.

Soldato
OP
I've finished The Institute, which was enjoyable. I'm now looking to pick up something else and it's really highlighting how expensive the books on Audible are.

11.22.63 is £18 on Audible.
The Kindle book is £4.99 and I can add audio narration for £3.99. :confused:

It feels like a con to promote the subscription model.

Edit: actually, the "enhanced" edition in the Kindle store is £3.99 and looks like it includes the audio version. This is confusing.

Soldato
OP
Kindle audio narration is abysmal. It's nothing like having a real person reading the book to you.

Sorry, my bad. It's the Audible version for £3.99. This makes more sense for me as it's the cost of a month's subscription yet I get the Kindle book as well as the Audible version, meaning I can switch between the two. I would actually prefer this as I'd rather read the Kindle version in bed as I keep going asleep with the narration!

xghCBPf.jpg

Soldato
OP
I've been listening to Jo Nesbo's "The Thirst". I think it may be the unfamiliar Norwegian streets, towns, names etc.. but it got me thinking that as well as a good narrator, the character's lines could be acted out by other actors which would avoid the male narrator trying to do different voices for everyone, including the females.

Obviously it would be more costly to produce.

Soldato
OP
Wow, I didn't know that they were as flexible as that. So, if I wanted to, I could join and then within that month mount up a collection to read within my library and then cancel the membership and retain access to listen to that collection. Then just rinse and repeat as required, and that is ok with them...?

You have never had an account issue or need to use a different email address etc...?

That seems pretty good...!

I'm not sure about building up a collection in a month, you're only getting one credit a month so can only buy one book unless you pay for the book, but I don't see any advantage there as you'll pay much more unless you grab some special offers.

I don't always listen every month, or I might be listening to the same book for over a month, so right now I have 3 credits to use. I'll buy 3 books and then cancel the subscription until I've listened to them. What I've found is that they usually give you a special offer to come back after a while, so I'm currently paying £3.99 a month for one credit. I'll cancel when it goes back to £7.99.

One thing I really like is the ability to return books you don't like, I've used that a few times and returned books after a couple of chapters.

Soldato
OP
For £8 a month I would effectively just get 12 audiobooks in a year? I also notice that the price of things as individual purchases seems horrendous

I'm only subscribing now because I got another 4 month deal at £3.99. I'll cancel my membership when that expires because as you say the pricing is silly, especially the individual pricing - who's paying £20 for an audio book?

I share my Kindle library with my wife, and she's built up a big selection. There's some decent deals to get the audio version for a couple of quid when you already own the Kindle version, so I'll probably try some of those out.

Edit: I just went to cancel and got offered another 50% discount to £3.99 for another 3 months. That'll be 7 consecutive months. I'm happy with that price, and considering the continual discounts then they must know the pricing model isn't working out.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've been unable to listen to audio books for a while as I am preferring to read instead, and now have 4 unused Audible credits. Prior to cancelling my Audible membership, I would be happy to send some books as a gift to anyone who has posted in the thread previously.

Simply quote your previous post and tell me what book you'd like and I'll sort it with you.

Limit one book per person. :)

Back
Top Bottom