Audio setup for c1

Soldato
Looking for recommendations for a decent audio setup to complement our C1 in the living room

main uses will be film and tv with a bit of gaming thrown in

currently looking at the of sound bar kits but will I be disappointed in a sound bar over a entry level receiver and speakers

thoughts please on a sub £1000 audio setup

Soldato
I went for a stereo setup for that price.

They're Klipsch, The Fives. Active stand mounts with Bluetooth, hdmi Arc etc.

I've had them almost a year now and very pleased with them. Superb clarity and a nice thick articulated bass response.

Last edited:
Soldato
£1000 isn't a lot, for AV I'd say get a avr with at least stereo speakers.

Then later get subwoofer, center, rears, sides, remote control etc.

Chepest would be budget avr and £100 speakers.

You can get stereo, 2.1, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc all the way up to 7.3.6 or something like that. How many channels do you want?

I have a 7.1.4 system that's 7 floor channels with one sub and four height channels (Atmos/ DTS X)

Soldato
Sonos stuff has served me well. I have a Beam soundbar with 2 Sonos one speakers as rears.

Not something purists would recommend I imagine but it's straight forward, effective and easily expanded upon.

I too have wondered what else is out there but as this just works, my family can use it without hassle etc, I'll most likely leave it be

Soldato
OP
Just a normal semi detached living room so nothing majorly spacious

Seems to be a dearth of av setups these days with everyone going down the sound bar route. Was looking at the log Sp8ya but at £700 there must be better options out there the sp8ya appeals as it’s going to be a straight plug and play job and an extra £200 to add the wireless rears gives s 5.1 setup

but by then your nearly a grand in and that to me seems obscene for a soundbar based setup. Really I guess what I’m asking is there better options for the same or similar money

Soldato
Soldato
Sonos Beam and Sub would get the vote for me - it won’t be the best system, but it’ll hit all major points well.

Head to your local richer sounds or Sevenoaks and test it out :)

Last edited:
Soldato
And when you need more inputs.and want to update to hdmi 2.1?

Soundbar are throwaway product..

I’ve got a receiver, and everything is plugged into my TV to avoid (numerous) issues with HDCP, ARC, CEC and being able to set up input-based display modes, which you can’t do if you have everything running through the receiver.

Your definition of “throwaway product” is intriguing, to say the least. Are you saying that as new features come out, they’ll cease to function?

Surely, with your POV, so is a receiver?

HDMI 2.1 is only useful for eARC and high bandwidth (although the latter isn’t always supported)

OP isn’t looking for a 7.2.4 atmos system with extensive upgrade paths - they’re looking for a system which will provide a better sound experience that their TV.

A Sonos beam and sub, while not the best at any single thing, will do everything fairly competently, and it comes with features you typically won’t find on a 2.0 + sub system.

• Voice control
  • Comprehensive streaming options inc Airplay 2
  • Long support
  • A comparatively good app (vs HEOS for example)

Plus, IMO, it’s good looking and will likely be wife approved.

Soldato
When you need a new avr you don't throwaway the speakers and sub.

Soundbar are good for the money and sound just means as things change you can't update it.

It's like having a car, the engine needs new pistons...so you throwaway the car rather than getting new pistons.

Sonos are still limited to 65,000 tracks in local library so if you have large collection it's useless

Soldato
And how do you know he won't be adding speakers as time goes by? Whether he doesnt now he can that option in the future, avr allow you to have that option. As well as having two subs. Or changing the avr. Or changing the stereo speakers. Or moving the main speakers to rears then get bigger fronts. Or connecting 8 hdmi sources. Adding a external phono stage. Adding external dac. Adding external headphone amp. Having two hdmi outputs for projector and TV. Adding a stereo amp for better stereo performance. Adding external subwoofer EQ. power amps for more power and control of the speakers..

He has those options and more. And with a soundbar?

Soldato
And how do you know he won't be adding speakers as time goes by? Whether he doesnt now he can that option in the future, avr allow you to have that option. As well as having two subs. Or changing the avr. Or changing the stereo speakers. Or moving the main speakers to rears then get bigger fronts. Or connecting 8 hdmi sources. Adding a external phono stage. Adding external dac. Adding external headphone amp. Having two hdmi outputs for projector and TV. Adding a stereo amp for better stereo performance. Adding external subwoofer EQ. power amps for more power and control of the speakers..

He has those options and more. And with a soundbar?

Definitely depends on what the OP truely wants out if it at the end of the day.

I think both paths are valid for different users.

Sonos kind of feels like a lite version of what you are talking about here.

You can have just the sound bar. But then you can add the sub, and rears if you decide you want more out of it but that's about as far as the Sonos system would go. But I'd argue for most cases that would be enough for someone dipping their toe in

Soldato
Definitely depends on what the OP truely wants out if it at the end of the day.

I think both paths are valid for different users.

Sonos kind of feels like a lite version of what you are talking about here.

You can have just the sound bar. But then you can add the sub, and rears if you decide you want more out of it but that's about as far as the Sonos system would go. But I'd argue for most cases that would be enough for someone dipping their toe in

True but the Sonos subs are overpriced. Dual 6.5"? For what £650?? Lol you can buy bk monolith + for that and it'll utterly obliterate that Sonos "sub"

Soldato
True but the Sonos subs are overpriced. Dual 6.5"? For what £650?? Lol you can buy bk monolith + for that and it'll utterly obliterate that Sonos "sub"

I agree.

I haven't bought the sub yet myself for that very reason.

I personally have wondered if I should go down another route away from Sonos but then for my family it just works, they don't have to faff about with it etc and the tacky Alexa stuff can prove useful

I do want the sub, but need it on sale at John Lewis then get my GF's discount to bring it to about £570. Still mental but easier to swallow than the £749 rrp

Soldato
I agree.

I haven't bought the sub yet myself for that very reason.

I personally have wondered if I should go down another route away from Sonos but then for my family it just works, they don't have to faff about with it etc and the tacky Alexa stuff can prove useful

I do want the sub, but need it on sale at John Lewis then get my GF's discount to bring it to about £570. Still mental but easier to swallow than the £749 rrp

If you can connect any regular sub look at bk xls 200.

Furniture gradec finish

That's even if the Sonos has subwoofer pre out rca...

Caporegime

Sonos is a convenience product. It's good enough for most and pretty forgiving placement and setup wise.

You'll always be able to get better performance for the money elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom