Audio setup for c1

Caporegime
Soldato
Compared to a mid range AVR it's got nothing, it's literally useless.

https://cdn.idealo.com/folder/Product/200433/3/200433325/s3_produktbild_max_3/denon-avr-x2700h.jpg

So if you have BD player, Xbox, PS5, PC? Out of luck!

Your posts are some of the funniest on this site.

Why would you use a BD player if you have an Xbox and PS5? And if you do have more devices than that, get an HDMI switcher.

Buying an AVR also locks you into a setup. The difference is, a good AVR will cost >£800.

Mine is >£2000. But once HDMI 2.2 or whatever comes out, it'll be obsolete.

True but the Sonos subs are overpriced. Dual 6.5"? For what £650?? Lol you can buy bk monolith + for that and it'll utterly obliterate that Sonos "sub"

Have you heard the Sonos sub? I used to own one, and it dug really deep. Paired with the Sonos Trueplay, it was a system which could achieve a 7 or 8 out of 10 with very little effort and it looked subjectively great.

By comparison, I'm still trying to place my DB3D to get the most bass out of it, and I'm limited by the subwoofer cable too.

Furthermore, you can often get the Sonos Sub a little cheaper, around £550 or less.

The Sonos system is never sold as the best system, and I never said it is.

However, OP asked "will I be disappointed in a sound bar over a entry level receiver and speakers".

I would say no. In fact, I'd say the opposite. A tightly integrated system like Sonos will sound better for most people than an entry level AVR and speaker system.

The only thing which would come close is the Q Acoustics M20 HD, paired with a decent sub, such as an SVS SB1000 Pro, but that's if you're willing to deal with the slightly added clutter and size of the sub.

Soldato
You just plug them all into the TV and use eARC to route sound to your Sonos.

It's certainly not for everyone but I'm not sure your giving it fair due.

e-arc is far from ideal, it has issues. I've experienced E-Arc problems, that went away going into the av pre amp. I recommend plugging sources into the AVR instead.

Soldato
Your posts are some of the funniest on this site.

Why would you use a BD player if you have an Xbox and PS5? And if you do have more devices than that, get an HDMI switcher.

Buying an AVR also locks you into a setup. The difference is, a good AVR will cost >£800.

Mine is >£2000. But once HDMI 2.2 or whatever comes out, it'll be obsolete.

Have you heard the Sonos sub? I used to own one, and it dug really deep. Paired with the Sonos Trueplay, it was a system which could achieve a 7 or 8 out of 10 with very little effort and it looked subjectively great.

By comparison, I'm still trying to place my DB3D to get the most bass out of it, and I'm limited by the subwoofer cable too.

Furthermore, you can often get the Sonos Sub a little cheaper, around £550 or less.

The Sonos system is never sold as the best system, and I never said it is.

However, OP asked "will I be disappointed in a sound bar over a entry level receiver and speakers".

I would say no. In fact, I'd say the opposite. A tightly integrated system like Sonos will sound better for most people than an entry level AVR and speaker system.

The only thing which would come close is the Q Acoustics M20 HD, paired with a decent sub, such as an SVS SB1000 Pro, but that's if you're willing to deal with the slightly added clutter and size of the sub.

AVR locks you into a setup? Haha. I could downgrade from 7.1.4 tomorrow to 2.0. Add or replace power amplifiers at will. Bi-amp. Get monoblocs. Add two more subwoofers. Add another pair of atmos heights to go .6

Because the BD player is quieter.

It's a 6.5" dual driver, sorry but it won't be pounding sub, it's ported with small cabinet, small drivers. do you have objective results of that sub? 25hz, at what dB? Distortion? What is the amplifier power?

I have heard a few soundbars some are pretty good, but you can't hide the fact they are non upgradeable, semi diposable items.

AVR has a HDMI switcher built in. And HD decoding, Atmos, room correction.

Caporegime
It's a 6.5" dual driver, sorry but it won't be pounding sub, it's ported with small cabinet, small drivers. do you have objective results of that sub? 25hz, at what dB? Distortion? What is the amplifier power?

Sonos users aren't looking for a system that hits 25hz though at a certain distortion. They're not going to be doing room treatment or sub crawls.

It sounds pretty good, it's simple, it's not cheap. It doesn't fit everyone's desires.

Soldato
The Sonos will go pretty loud with no distortion, loud enough that if you have neighbours you will **** them off. :cry:

I'd hang about and see what comes of CES 2022, but then make the decision based on if you want convenience and ease with minimal integration, or happy to have wires and space etc to accommodate separates.

Soldato
I'm so so sorry for bringing up Sonos :D

I think for someone who is in the market for a sound bar, you could do far worse than a Beam. I have the Gen 1 and still love it for my use case.

And to the above comment about no connections, mine is plugged to the TV, and everything goes through that so ps5, virgin, PC etc.

Obviously depends on the TV passthrough etc but for the most part it's great.

I am admittedly running in to issues now mind as my TV Doesn't passthrough DTS, At all. And Sonos now supports DTS.

But I guess somewhere it's converted to a lesser format as I still get 5.1 just DD not DTS

Soldato
Looking for recommendations for a decent audio setup to complement our C1 in the living room

main uses will be film and tv with a bit of gaming thrown in

currently looking at the of sound bar kits but will I be disappointed in a sound bar over a entry level receiver and speakers

thoughts please on a sub £1000 audio setup

Switched from an Amp/Speaker setup to a soundbar setup (JBL 9.1) and couldn't be happier, paired with a LG 55" C9 OLED.

Soldato
PS5 doesn't support Dolby Atmos so that's one potential reason.
Or vision/HDR10+

Im wondering how much of a difference I would notice going for a standalone player over continuing to use the PS5.

I think, other than the missing features, the picture itself is pretty good but I've nothing to compare it against

Soldato
I'm so so sorry for bringing up Sonos :D

I think for someone who is in the market for a sound bar, you could do far worse than a Beam. I have the Gen 1 and still love it for my use case.

And to the above comment about no connections, mine is plugged to the TV, and everything goes through that so ps5, virgin, PC etc.

Obviously depends on the TV passthrough etc but for the most part it's great.

I am admittedly running in to issues now mind as my TV Doesn't passthrough DTS, At all. And Sonos now supports DTS.

But I guess somewhere it's converted to a lesser format as I still get 5.1 just DD not DTS

Noticed you bought the sonos "sub"

This is better, higher quality driver, finish, and amplifier.

https://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400FF.htm

Back
Top Bottom