Audio setup question

Associate
Not sure if this is a question for in here or the console area

I have my gaming PC set up with Edifier speakers; they are connected via optical whilst I use DP to connect the monitor

I have my work laptop connected to the speakers via bluetooth but I'd like to bring a PS5 into the set up rather than connecting it to the TV downstairs

Is there a way I can do this or is the only option to connect the PS5 to my monitor with HDMI and let that output audio? My only concern with that is that the audio will be a worse quality than that of the speakers?

Thanks in advance

My only thought is to find some way of connecting the PS5 to the edifier speakers via RCA connectors - which seems to be the only free input on the speakers.

Given the monitor is unlikely to have optical out for audio the only way I can think to do this is buy a DAC/AMP that supports UAC 1.0 audio like a Fosi K5 Pro or Fiio K11 and use that via USB which allows connection via RCA to speakers. Alternatively but a PCM2704 USB to Optical adaptor to use any DAC/AMP with optical input instead.

Not sure if that's a better or worse option than a switcher or something but what came to mind.

PS5 probably only has HDMI out, so you'd need a DAC, but also ability to send the HDMI video to the AVR.

A AVR will do all this, but you'd need to change those speakers to passive ones. If PS5 has optical as well as HDMI there could be a work around, but they make it difficult on purpose.

Most HDMI switches don't have optical in or out, ones that do probably start rising in cost.

Or get a av pre amp. ;-) I think Trinnov do or two models haha

O
PS5 probably only has HDMI out, so you'd need a DAC, but also ability to send the HDMI video to the AVR.

It's doesn't have optical so would need an optical out on the monitor or an HDMI-extractor (not ideal). Also HDMI audio doesn't support PS5 3D audio for headphones (if that's important).

One thing I would add is a brand new Fosi K5 Pro is £68 new which will have RCA connectors for speakers. I'm not sure if any AV solution or switcher is going to be that cheap? The Fosi also provides a reasonable quality headphone output too (or mic input).

O

It's doesn't have optical so would need an optical out on the monitor or an HDMI-extractor (not ideal). Also HDMI audio doesn't support PS5 3D audio for headphones (if that's important).

One thing I would add is a brand new Fosi K5 Pro is £68 new which will have RCA connectors for speakers. I'm not sure if any AV solution or switcher is going to be that cheap? The Fosi also provides a reasonable quality headphone output too (or mic input).

A AVR can certainly be cheap, if you just need a 1080p model, but if you need 4K 120hz pass through, that's going to cost more. Plus makes you active speakers useless, unless you find a AVR with pre outs (which will be even more costly)

The problem is the PS5 doesn't have dual HDMI out, one for the display another just for audio

If your TV/monitor has ARC/E-ARC that makes it simpler. But if you're using a monitor that probably doesn't have audio out.

O

Fosi K5 Pro still lacks any HDMI in/out, so in a AV system kinda useless. It's fine for a two channel dekstop system. What about sub out? Time delay room EQ, more inputs etc. And just one output, which isn't enough.

If you have two consoles, or even one console, you're stuffed. Unless it's a old xbox 360 with optical out and HDMI out, so video can go to TV/monitor, and optical to the Fosi.

Fosi K5 Pro still lacks any HDMI in/out, so in a AV system kinda useless. It's fine for a two channel dekstop system. What about sub out? Time delay room EQ, more inputs etc. And just one output, which isn't enough.

If you have two consoles, or even one console, you're stuffed. Unless it's a old xbox 360 with optical out and HDMI out, so video can go to TV/monitor, and optical to the Fosi.
Headphone DAC/AMPs don't have HDMI inputs. The Fosi does have optical and USB inputs.

Given the OP mentioned already having edifier speakers but using the optical and bluetooth inputs already, it struck me the speakers *should* have RCA inputs free. The Fosi is a fairly cheap way to connect the PS5 to those RCA inputs.

You are right an AVR might be better solution, particularly in a lounge situation. But talk of a monitor and work laptop struck me more as an office environment (I similarly use headphones, edifier speakers for my PC and DAC/AMPs in my small office).

Last edited:
He needs HDMI inputs for BD players, consoles etc.

Some older consoles ie PSX had RCA outputs, as well as SCART RGB. I think seperate video & audio is best rather than a single HDMI out. My BD player has dual HDMI out, and optical out. I've used both HDMI out, and RCA out, depending on usage.

Would be PITA if it just had one single HDMI out.

The OP just wants a way to connect their PS5 to their edifier speakers and use with a PC monitor? No mention of bluray players etc.

Risk of over thinking this imo. Short answer to the OP is; Yes it us doable. My only assumption was they have those RCA inputs on the edifiers free.

PS. Yes I'm old enough to remember 8-bit consoles and a time when they came with RCA outputs and optical out etc. Console audio has gone backwards in that regards.

Thanks everyone and apologies for the slow reply

Been travelling today for work so catching up now on the train home

I did think of an amp, but seemed a bit overkill for a gaming / work pc setup

@Timber i was thinking that option, I’m sure the monitor has a headphone socket that I could connect to the rca ports on the speakers if the ps5 is connected to the monitor via hdmi

Just wondering if that was the best bet or if anyone had any experience or other options

@Timber i was thinking that option, I’m sure the monitor has a headphone socket that I could connect to the rca ports on the speakers if the ps5 is connected to the monitor via hdmi

Just wondering if that was the best bet or if anyone had any experience or other options

I haven't personally ever used a headphone socket from a monitor but my guess is that audio won't be great, even on a basic stereo speaker setup. My Edifiers did come with a 3.5mm to RCA lead so you could try that if your speakers are the same. Your other free options are use the monitor speakers (if it has them, likely to be awful) or only ever use the headphone output on the Dualsense for sound.

Personally I think the cheapest/easiest solution is a USB UAC 1.0 DAC/AMP with RCA outputs as mentioned.

You could look at a DAC/AMP solution for both the PC and PS5 but unless it is self powered (i..e via mains) it still means needing optical out from somewhere in the chain for PS5 as the PC would need to be connected via USB. So that gets messy unless you change your setup.

Yeah I have tried the monitor speakers and like you say they aren't great hence why wanting to use the edifiers.

I have the Alienward AW3423DWF which has the line-out port on the rear so could use the 3.5mm to RCA lead to test how it works

Its just an idea at the moment. I dont use my PS5 that much since moving to PC for gaming but there are the odd games that I do play on the PS5 like Last of Us 1/2 and Uncharted although they seem to be coming out slowly on the PC so may not need it as there is less and less appealing PS5 exclusives

Its just an idea at the moment. I dont use my PS5 that much since moving to PC for gaming but there are the odd games that I do play on the PS5 like Last of Us 1/2 and Uncharted although they seem to be coming out slowly on the PC so may not need it as there is less and less appealing PS5 exclusives

Those are all Sony first-party games so have very good 3D audio implementations. So will lend themselves to playing on headphones.

Back
Top Bottom