Auto Maximising A Window in Leopard

Associate
How do you fully maximise an application in Leopard?

When opening Pages/iTunes/Folders/etc it auto opens in a small window... now my eyes are not too bad, but when you're working on a 13" MacBook you need those windows maxed out.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

This is the most commonly asked question.. it's a case of drag-to-fit and OS X will remember the size.

Some apps such as Firefox switch to the largest size when you click the green "+", others don't.. it's a case of experimentation :)

Associate
Its one of the things that most confused me when I switched from Windows, one would naturally assume that the green button is for maximising - but it's not :rolleyes:

It is supposed to be for zooming, for example it will make a window large enough to display its contents if it is not already big enough. Although like you say some apps do use it to maximise, except iTunes oddly enough which uses it so switch to the mini browser :cool:

So in short it, er, varies lol. :D

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I find the way OS X handles windows is so much better suited to multitasking than windows.

In windows I'll have a single window taking up the whole screen whereas in OS X I'll be running 2 or three apps all on the screen, with the web browser that would usually be full screen taking up about 3/5ths of the space with Adium and Colloque sitting next to it.

I wish I could use it all the time.

Soldato
The window management is still a league ahead of Windows (ironically), even Vista. I think Expose is quite possibly the best interface feature I've come across. Ever.

So in that sense I cut them some slack with the "+" button.

Associate
The window management is still a league ahead of Windows (ironically), even Vista. I think Expose is quite possibly the best interface feature I've come across. Ever.

So in that sense I cut them some slack with the "+" button.

What the hell does Expose do? Since i've got my mac, i've pressed on it a few times but still cant work out what the hell it does!

Associate
What the hell does Expose do? Since i've got my mac, i've pressed on it a few times but still cant work out what the hell it does!

Pretty self explanatory once youve activated it, all the windows you have open are laid out in one screen and you just click the window you want and it puts it in focus. also when you mouseover things in expose it shows the window title.
theres also application specific expose and global expose. application specific expose being useful where you have lots of windows open in the same app, eg, lots of photos in photoshop , and you want to choose between them.
hopefully that made sense :)

Associate
Just out of interest, are there any widget things that alter the green button to a Windowsesque maximise one?

Wouldn't have thought so, its function is set by the application itself. I suppose it would be possible to knock up some applescript to maximise the active window of an application but I don't know enough to say how it would be done.

Associate
OP
Any more offers on a 'proper' maximise button for the otherwise flawless Mac?

I prefer a full screen when using Pages, and am too lazy to keep dragging the blasted thing everytime!

Sic

Sic

Soldato
tis the only way, I'm afraid. If you open a new document, resize it, then close it it should remember the size next time

Caporegime
I find the way OS X handles windows is so much better suited to multitasking than windows.

In windows I'll have a single window taking up the whole screen whereas in OS X I'll be running 2 or three apps all on the screen, with the web browser that would usually be full screen taking up about 3/5ths of the space with Adium and Colloque sitting next to it.

I wish I could use it all the time.
You realise that not maximising your windows in Windows would solve those problems for you? I never maximise anything on my Vista box and I get along fine.

Back
Top Bottom