Auxiliary/fog/daytime running lights

Man of Honour
I have just bought a BMW R1200RT primarily for commuting on. It’s a police spec bike so comes with engine bars which could accommodate lights if necessary.

I’ve been looking into getting some, primarily for conspicuity. The logic I have been basing this on is that it is easier for other motorists to judge your velocity of they have two lights spaced apart to aid their judgement. However, I’ve stumbled upon another conflicting viewpoint- that in darkness, the two lights could be mistaken for a car much farther away.

There is a US DoT study which was partly inconclusive but recommended that a pair of low mounted lights on the front of a bike resulted in car drivers at junctions building in bigger safety margins.

What say you OcUK? Anyone have actual experience of using these lights?

For what it’s worth I’m not really bothered by aesthetics, this bike will be a commuting tool and anything I can do to help keep myself alive is fair game!

Thanks.

Man of Honour
OP
I really like the look of those Denali DRLs, exactly the sort of thing I’m after. They aren’t retina burning spotlights but very bright diffused lights. Can’t seem to find a UK supplier though, but I suppose that’s because they are new.

Are your lights aftermarket? If so, how have you fitted them? Did you need a controller to trick the electrics or did you wire them straight into the battery?

Man of Honour
OP
No I've got the BMW spot lamps on mine, connected into the main system. I will be getting the Denali CANsmart controller so I can add extra gadgets/lights etc.

I've taken a pair of pics with the lights on, just above the beam cut off and in the beam. Can't see how a car driver could mistake the pattern for a car in the distance.

20180730_134959.jpg

20180730_134945.jpg

20180730_134939.jpg
That’s portable sun territory! No SMIDSY for you :D
Yes the triangle pattern does look different enough IMO.

You need this rather :D
God no!

Man of Honour
OP
You sir have a portable sun on the front of your bike! Looks great. How to you rate the sound bomb?

I still haven’t got round to getting lights yet. Spent all of my bike budget on a new Shoei Neotec 2, Wunderlich Vario Bar risers and a Sargent seat.

Man of Honour
OP
How do you find the Neotec 2? I saw it in the local bike shop when I took mine in for a service and fell in love with the navy blue.
Love it. I went into Infinity completely against getting a Shoei as I’ve always had an irrational dislike of the brand. I was set on a Schuberth C4 or E1 but they just didn’t fit my head. The Neotec was a perfect fit and having done a couple of thousand miles I’m really happy with it. It’s also quieter and more stable than my previous Schuberth S2

Back
Top Bottom