AV Noob

Associate
So I am new to this

I have a cheap and cheerful samsung surround sound system that is mediocre at best but a touch better than the TV speakers

With this in mind I have been round a friends recently who has some TDL Studio 10 speakers and a Marantz? amp which sounds massively better than what I have

So with this in mind and a house move coming up I'd like something better but on a tight budget (maybe around the £300 mark) this can stretch if the right stuff comes along

Now I am aware ofthe large amount of stuff about and differing opinions and I am more than happy to go second hand to get something that is a damn sight better sounding and looking over what I have

So any suggestions?

Soldato
For your budget go for stereo for now, and buy the remtaning speakers later. Something like a £150 AVR and £150 speakers.

Checkout Yamaha 400 or 500 series AVR with maybe Q Acoustics 2000 or 3000 speakers.

Soldato
Yeah what hornetstinger said. You will be surprised how much a difference just the two speakers will make and you can then add whatever else you feel is necessary.

When buying second hand speakers, always make sure you test them if at all possible. I’d suggest a a high pitch song and one with some bass. Also turn the volume down really low and check to make sure there’s no humming/buzzing sounds. Both speakers should sound the same. Can even take a multimeter if you have one and do a sine sweep test (frequency), which can burn on cd etc but do a google search on it if you no idea what I’m on about. :)

Associate
OP
Cheers

Unfortunately I’d have to head to google and go from there!

I’ll have a look around and post back if I happen to come across anything!

Soldato
Check out this offer from Curry's (I'm on a phone so it's a faff to link) and it's probably stuffed up the formatting of this post.

SAMSUNG Sound+ HW-MS550 2.1 All-in-One Sound Bar & Subwoofer Bundle

It's reduced to £550, with a further £200 cashback from Samsung, making it £350. I have the soundbar up from this and the same subwoofer. I doubt you'll get anything better for your budget and I have been very impressed so far.

Edit sorry for the oversized text.

Associate
OP
So to revive this, I settled on a set of Wharfedale Diamond 220s speakers for what seemed to be a reasonable price

Now just to settle on an amp / avr

Associate
OP
Don't be afraid to look at second hand either - some older amps with less network connectivity options offer great value for money

Ofcourse, I've been looking around and I've settled on the Marantz NR1508 AVR slimline receiver - seemed to get some very good reviews reading around and appears to cover all angles for what I want

Associate
OP
Just to revive this abit

I did indeed pick up the Marantz NR1508 for a very reasonable price from Richer Sounds - it was an open box one so got an extra 20% off from the store aswell

This is paired with the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers and so far I've not felt the need to add to them yet

Now I am settled in the house abit I can look to change this but! heres a pic of the current setup https://photos.app.goo.gl/p9AoBXNzB76gpnna9

Caporegime
your £300 budget is pennies in the AV world.

you are looking at £300+ just for an AVR, then another £300+ just for a sub, etc, etc.

even going second hand it isn't enough for a proper set up.

2 speakers and an AVR is an easy £500-£1000 on it's own second hand.

TJM

TJM

Associate
He’s already spent the money dude.

OP, I wouldn’t add to that setup unless you really want surround sound or you’d like voices to be clearer. A pair of small speakers is about right for a TV of that size in a small/medium sized room.

I would put the speakers on stands so that the tops are at about ear level when you’re in whatever position you normally sit in and put a bit of space between the speakers and the cabinet if possible.

Soldato
Looks like you’ve got a nice system for your cash. It’s amazing what a difference setting it up properly will make and speaker stands will make a massive improvement. Hope you’re enjoying!

Associate
OP
Looks like you’ve got a nice system for your cash. It’s amazing what a difference setting it up properly will make and speaker stands will make a massive improvement. Hope you’re enjoying!

Kid loves the sound for films
Mrs seems to use it for Eastenders

When I try and enjoy it the new neighbours pass comment on being able to hear it

Back
Top Bottom