AV Receiver

Soldato
I'm new to the whole AV Receiver thing.
I'm looking at getting a projector setup in the near future so an AV receiver is going to be needed for sound and switching purposes.
There is such a wide range of AV receivers on various websites but the difference isn't exactly that obvious outside of connections/surround sound options/dobly atmos support etc

So can anyone recommend a decent enough AV receiver or explain what the difference is between one that costs £199 vs £499 apart from the connections/dolby atmos?

Man of Honour
To start off, it kind of depends on whether you plan to run a TV and a projector in the room, or if it's just a projector.

For the two options, you're really looking for an AV receiver with dual outputs. One will take care of the TV and do all the fancy ARC audio support so you can use smart apps on the TV and get sound in surround. The second HDMI output is a picture only signal to a projector. The clever bit is that the amp can work out that it's dealing with say two different display devices (say 4K for the TV, 1080p for the projector, or differences in what they'll do with other picture or sound related functions) and keep either one working happily despite the presence of a second display. You can't always guarantee that with a simple 1 in:2 out HDMI splitter, and you probably won't find a splitter that accommodates ARC. Straight away then, you're going to looking at new AV receivers at £300+.

As for the rest of the features, most AV receivers do the same basic functions. You've got audio switching and decoding, network features, app control is pretty standard now, as is some form of streaming from mobile devices whether that's via Bluetooth, or a network connection, or both. Denon and Yamaha both have their in-house versions of a wireless multi-room system.

Once you've knocked out the single-HDMI-output receivers, then most of what you'll find will be ATMOS-capable receivers. It's up to you whether you buy speakers for all the 7 satellite channels that you'll use in a 5.1.2 configuration. You may just decide to run in 5.1 mode, and if you do, you'll get a little more power to each channel since it's only being divided 5 ways rather than 7.

Speaking of power, forget the manufacturer's claims. It's mostly smoke and mirrors becuause the figures are manipulated by crafty ways of measuring and misleading ways of representing the data. A useful rule of thumb is to take the mains power consumption, then knock off 10% for heat loss and the overheads of running the amp, then divide the result by the number of channels that can be actively driven. The Denon AVRX2400h (£299-£349) eats 500W max from the mains. Take off 10% leaves 450W. Divide by 7 gives 64W per channel. Sony claims that its £430 STR-DN1080 consumes 240W. Do the same maths and the figure works out at 31W per channel, yet Sony claim they have the most powerful receiver in its class. Are Sony pulling a VW to keep the Eurocrats happy?

Outright power alone shouldn't be the only measure as to which to buy. You might have your own brand preference, or perhaps certain features might be an essential for you. Denons get good press, as do Yamaha and the Sony. Personally, I like the Yamahas for their ability with music as much as movies.

The ball then is back in your court. Do you need dual outputs, do you need ATMOS, do you need 4K upscaling and analogue cross conversion?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the info, it definitely does get confusing when diving into it all and what manufacturers say.
There wouldn't be a TV so dual output is unnecessary (but the option wouldn't be not-welcome)
Not interested in atmos, sound would be 5.1 maximum.
Most content would be 1080p, with some 720p and SD mixed in. Very little 4K (although 4K netflix is a possibility). 4K or 1080p projector itself is still up for debate, depending on pricing when the time comes to buy.

Man of Honour
Projector manufacturers have been much slower to adopt 4K than the TV makers due to the cost and complexity of making the very small but high resolution imaging chips required for the job. That means that while you can get a 4K TV AT 49-50" for under £350 now due to titanic price erosion, the same landslide in projector prices is still some way off.

There are some cheaper 4K compatible models coming through, but they all use some or other kind of trick to approximate 4K resolution rather than being true 4K. However, that's not the biggest issue, and surprisingly these resolution fudges work surprisingly well. No, the biggest issue is picture quality.

The consensus is that most if not all of the pseudo-4K projectors under £3000 are geared more towards gaming and bright room entertainment use rather than true home cinema. There are problems with black level being grey rather than black. Contrast and shadow detail suffers as a result. Colour quality is also affected by the black level too.

The first worthy 4K UHD projector for home cinema use is the Optoma UHD65 @ £3K.

As volumes of 4K UHD chips increase then costs will come down and performance will go up. Right now though, if your budget is under £2500, and you're interested in great picture quality that will knock the socks off the average TV, then a 1080p projector is where I would put my money.

You could do a lot worse than pick up a used JVC X30/X35. They have excellent blacks, great contrast, lovely colour and are whisper quiet. From an install point of view, the motorised lens shift is a godsend. If you're pushing the boat out with a 21:9 screen, the lens memories make switching aspect ratios a piece of cake.

You should plan though for the change to 4K at some point. Cabling for 4K is often overlooked. We've all got used to the idea of cheap long HDMI cables, but that's not the same game with 4K UHD. Very few long cables sold as 4K are fit for purpose.

Once again, this situation will improve with time, but currently where you can buy a 20m HDMI for as little as £1 per metre and be fairly confident it will work, the same is not true for 4K UHD.

Mortgaging your soul for a bit of wire isn't many people's idea of fun. Taking that gamble, and then waiting another 2-3 years before finding out if it will work is an even bigger risk; so don't do it. Instead, put in some piping to make the job of swapping out a cable much easier in the future. That's proper future-proofing.

Coming back to the sound side of things; you could make a big impact on your sound quality by buying a used non-Atmos AV receiver. There's good product on the used market that will do 4K pass thru if you decide to add a TV, and give you much better sound quality than the current crop of new £150-£300 AV receivers. We are looking at amps that were £500-£800 when new 3-4 years ago, but because they don't older have ATMOS then theyre selling used for £200-£300.

Associate
as lucid said about 4k projector its not really worth it at the moment unless your going really high end such as the sonys or JVCs which cost around 5k last time I looked.

I had my finger hovered over the buy button for a benq 4k for a while but decided against it in the end due to needing to spend a fortune on a HDMI cable to get the most out of it (the one I have cost me £30 or so back in 2015) plus the fact the black levels arnt supposed to be great

I got my 1080p optima projector in 2015 where it was worth £500 or so (I got it for free from work) and it still looks great to me nearly 4 years later and in those 4 years there will have been an improvement in contrast, black levels etc

Back
Top Bottom