1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avenue 5

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by EddScott, Jan 27, 2020.

1. EddScott

Sgarrista

Has anyone watched Avenue 5?

Popped up on Sky over the weekend. Has Hugh Lawrie in it.

Can imagine it will get a shoeing but I actually thought it was a reasonable effort to have a go at space comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Zr3f-_Ft8

2. JRS

Capodecina

It's on my list of stuff to catch up to. Looks good from the preview/trailer that I saw.

3. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I've watched the first two, I'll stick with it

4. MadMossy

Soldato

It's OK I guess, for a comedy sitcom its average, depends on how much you like american humour.

5. Andybtsn

Don

Well it's Iannucci so should be good but the first ep was pretty disappointing.

6. something daft already!!

Mobster

The reviews are very poor. I'm probably not going to bother. HBO has had a few turkeys recently.

7. MonkeyBasher

Gangster

First episode I didn't laugh at all and I struggled to stay focused.

8. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I didn't know it was supposed to be a comedy!

9. MonkeyBasher

Gangster

"science fiction comedy television series"

I am not joking. Not one laugh. Crap characters. No actual plot that I could see.

10. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I've seen two episodes but I just thought it was light hearted.
    There's no jokes.

11. Malevolence

Capodecina

It's a strange one for sure, it's billed as a 'comedy' yet seems to lack any humour at all. Which is ******* bizarre given that it's written and directed by comedy genius Armando Iannucci and has a largely British cast, including some properly funny people.

12. krooton

Caporegime

*looks up Iannucci's past work*
    Yeah, probably going to skip this now, none of his past work ever clicked with me.

13. Malevolence

Capodecina

Just watched Ep.2 and the launching of the dead into space actually made me laugh, so I think I'll give it a chance.

14. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Weirdo :)
    We scattered my Mums ashes at Fenton Cemetery on Monday and just as they're going down the wind got worse and blew them all over the place.
    We then released a balloon and it got stuck in a tree, she would have loved it.

15. Malevolence

Capodecina

I know you shouldn't laugh, but stuff like that does lighten the day up. We had a similar experience when scattering my Great Uncle's remains at sea. Him being lifelong Royal Navy, served the entirety of WWII and stayed in afterwards, he wanted to be scattered at sea to be with all the mates he lost. A friend of the family took us out into the North Sea in his trawler and just as my Grandad begin to scatter the ashes an ungodly gust of wind came out of nowhere and blew them back and scattered them all over the deck. Cue my Grandad rather loudly, and partly in Anglo-Saxon, accusing his Brother of always being a stubborn sod when it came to getting into the water.

16. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Im quite liking it if Im honest.

17. v0n

Sgarrista

It is, by far, the worst TV show with big(ish) name actors created in this century. You can still hear the screaming of a TV exec who passed on "The Orville" and now yells at his subordinates to bring him "sci fi ship comedy thing" at all cost during the opening credits. What bet has Hugh Laurie lost to be in it we'll never know. Every single character is top level annoying. Absolutely no character to root for. No story line or plot other than people annoyingly yelling at each other (for 90 minutes by now). One stupid and physically incorrect "because gravity" mcguffin is currently milked for three episodes ad infinitum as two separate "plots". It is such a car crash you just have to watch it like a deer hypnotised by bright headlights of a fast approaching car.

Also Joshua Gad. How is this individual still employable? Amazing.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  18. JasMan101

Associate

Gave up after watching the first episode

19. Glanza

Capodecina

It comes across as Veep in space but without the charm that Veep had, the shaky cam then zoom in that they've kept feels weird in this setting too.

20. TheVoice

Capodecina

I think I've given up on this after the second episode, it isn't funny and almost all the characters are terrible.