Average fee?

Soldato
I'd charge about £1,450 for the wedding and associated works. For that you'd get photographs, video and a free spread in the Sun newspaper as well :p

Or what Fstop11 just wrote cos at the end of the day if its not the 'piece of cake' you assume it will be and you make a mess of things then your mate wont have any record of his / her big day and be out of pocket with nothing to show for it. :)

Caporegime
personally I wouldnt say Free. You might get easily fed up n give up because it is Free.
I would charge something like £50 to egg you to do the photography and then if you pull out a good set make your money through printing for them.

The problem with that is, in the eyes of the law, soon as you add money into the equation, you creat a binding contract. If its my first time, and I did too, i charged nothing. As if i truly messed it up, they can't sue me.

The problem with that is, in the eyes of the law, soon as you add money into the equation, you creat a binding contract. If its my first time, and I did too, i charged nothing. As if i truly messed it up, they can't sue me.

Yeah but you'd only do that if you were so hopeless sure you'd make a pigs ear of it.
I charged £150 for my first wedding because I knew I didn't want the stress of worrying about it. I know I am good with a camera, I can solve exposure problems out on the fly so I pitched myself at £150 for a first and they were more than happy to pay that. I showed them the images the other day and they paid me another £150 as a thank you & because they were over the moon with the photographs.
Towards the end of the month I'm gonna rake in a boat load more in print production.

If anyone is that sure they are going to balls it up I simply advise them to not do it at all.

I fully understand what your saying about being legally binded but you just say and be upfront with them. "Heres my portfolio, I'm new to photography but I will be willing to try my absolute best with your wedding"

Of course it boils down entirely on who your client is. Some people will agree to that just for the sake of a bargain and others (your argument) will do anything to just punish you for a shoddy job.

Soldato
Of course it boils down entirely on who your client is. Some people will agree to that just for the sake of a bargain and others (your argument) will do anything to just punish you for a shoddy job.

also depends on what the client is expecting

if they are expecting a mate to take some pics is one thing

if they expect a mate, because they know "he does photography" to come up with totally professional results, that is another and has a bigger potential for being let down by the results

either way, a wedding is not "a piece of cake" by any strech of the imagination

Back
Top Bottom