AW3418DW - is it a safe purchase or better monitors on the horizon?

Soldato
So I've managed to get a deal for AW3418DW from dell including discounts for £725 and then I'll be able to claim back 20% VAT. So I should be getting the monitor for £580.

Is it worth it at this price or are there better monitors which will be released in the next 12 months or so at this price point?

I know its a partly silly question because tech always moves forwards but I feel like in regards to monitors, we seem to be in a period of stagnation where better monitors are released, but they invariably always seem to cost more rather than the highest end models rather than replace them.

Am I right in saying this is a good deal I should probably be snap up or are there other options?

Last edited:
Associate
Well at that price I don’t see any of the new tech being an issue as it’s all going to be in £2000+ monitors for the foreseeable future by the looks of it.

On another note I was looking to get this monitor myself how did you talk dell into the further discount as they killed all the existing codes when amazon dropped there price.

Soldato
So I've managed to get a deal for AW3418DW from dell including discounts for £725 and then I'll be able to claim back 20% VAT. So I should be getting the monitor for £580.

Is it worth it at this price or are there better monitors which will be released in the next 12 months or so at this price point?

I know its a partly silly question because tech always moves forwards but I feel like in regards to monitors, we seem to be in a period of stagnation where better monitors are released, but they invariably always seem to cost more rather than the highest end models rather than replace them.

Am I right in saying this is a good deal I should probably be snap up or are there other options?

Soldato
OP
Haha sorry guys!
Now I need a PC to use it with. For now I'll move up my lounge PC until I can decide whether to buy a 2080super or a 2070 super.

Last edited:
Associate
Excellent deal at that price - I paid £800 and it was a still a bargain.

Only question I would ask myself is whether you're ok with lock-in to Nvidia (unless of course you're happy to use without gsync and vrr).

As mentioned, the new stuff is all at much higher price points :rolleyes:

Associate
Ok I got them down to £765 but before I buy I have one last question, I currently run a 28” 4K 60hz screen will I notice a big loss in pixel density going to this and would the increase in MHz and screen size compensate?

Associate
I came from 32" 4k (140ppi) to this UW (109ppi).

Extra screen size over 28" will be nice, I like the UW format for gaming and productivity, I love the extra Hz and gsync - really makes a difference for gaming.

You'll have a larger drop in ppi given you're on 28" 4k (160ppi) - I personally have no issue with it vs the 32". It is of course all personal preference and you can only tell that by experiencing it yourself.

I still have the 32" 4k in portrait alongside the UW - it makes a lovely combo :D

Soldato
OP
Excellent deal at that price - I paid £800 and it was a still a bargain.

Only question I would ask myself is whether you're ok with lock-in to Nvidia (unless of course you're happy to use without gsync and vrr).

As mentioned, the new stuff is all at much higher price points :rolleyes:

Thanks man. I'll snap it up. I've gotten a little bored of TV gaming recently. I've been playing on a 4k 65'' FALD TV.. about 3M away and its been nice but having to use a lapboard and has been a bit meh and I prefer sitting on a chair to sitting on a sofa. Also there is just some active component to sitting at a desk rather than in the lounge.

Whats Gsync like? I have an RTX 2080/8086k and in Kingdom come on Ultra, I think I might hit around 45-55fps, does Gsync mask the framerate drops well enough? I've noticed on a few games like Dishnored 2 at 4k.. I could have done with my TV having Gsync.

Oh and I have no issue being locked in with Nvidia. I'm not ready to wait 6-12 months for AMD to release their higher end cards after Nvidia have released theirs haha.

Last edited:
Associate
Whats Gsync like? I have an RTX 2080/8086k and in Kingdom come on Ultra, I think I might hit around 45-55fps, does Gsync mask the framerate drops well enough? I've noticed on a few games like Dishnored 2 at 4k.. I could have done with my TV having Gsync.

At higher refresh rates gsync is buttery smooth, at lower frame rates it'll still remove tearing and stutter resulting in a better and smoother experience.

Soldato
OP
so I'm going to get this monitor tommorow but after using the CRG9.. I'm going to maybe return it dependant on how it fits on my desk.

Back
Top Bottom