AX1500i dead after 4 years, warranty worthless... Can I fix it?

Associate
OP
My replacement is due to arrive via FedEx on Friday, it's been a couple of weeks turnaround, so not too bad, thankfully I have spare PSUs to use in the meantime.

Today however, a solitary IEC C13 "kettle lead" turned up at my house from Scan. I have not ordered anything from them, so I can only assume this is to use with the replacement AX1500i. Obviously I sent the original power cable in with it, being as they seemed so fussy about it.

I'm theorising that as these things are in such short stock, the one that is being sent out, that has been on a round the world trip from Hong Kong, to Memphis USA, and is currently in Stanstead, does not have a UK plug.

The issue will come in that the AX1500i takes an IEC C19 connector and not a C13, so I may well be without a PSU on Friday due to Scan's ineptitude.

I tried calling Corsair support, but they did not comprehend what the hell I was on about, so I will harass Scan tomorrow.

Here's a picture, in case I'm just that bad at explaining!

5YtitRB.png

5YtitRB
I further note that the lead they have sent is a 0.75mm2 lead. For a 1500W PSU. The UK wiring regs state that 0.75mm2 cable is safe up to 6A. Drawing 1500W through this cable at 230V would be 6.5A, as such this is a fire safety risk. Or at least, it would be if it would fit the PSU.

Associate
Exactly as per said above, when I have my replacement sent it was via scan and it was a complete new PSU, including all cables.

Seems very odd that you have had a power cable sent on it's own, hope they haven't just looked at what you sent them and decided it was the cable that was the issue and sent you a new cable and are returning your old PSU.

Associate
OP
Won't the correct cable be in the box for the PSU? When I had my Corsair PSU RMAd it came as a sealed new unit with all the new cables etc.?

Exactly as per said above, when I have my replacement sent it was via scan and it was a complete new PSU, including all cables.

I would have expected this to be the case too, but I can't imagine why else Scan have sent me a random power cable.

Given that high wattage power supplies are in short supply (I can't find any AX1500i's in the UK at any retailer), and this PSU is coming from HK via the USA, I wonder if they are sending me a non-UK version, which would come with say a US or EU plug.

Seems tenuous perhaps, but why else would Scan have sent me a random power cable?!

Associate
As above maybe just order a cable and then wait and see what you get from HK, long as you have some kind of confirmation about getting a replacement power supply I would just wait, or reply to your support ticket with them to confirm the reason for a random power cable.

Associate
OP
Good news and bad news....

The PSU arrived early (today) and is an AX1600i, so yay free upgrade!

It did however, come with an EU power lead. I guess I was right about the one from Scan.

I ordered a correct one from OcUK this morning, but the free delivery option was 2nd class, so it could be a while. I'll talk to scan tomorrow and ask them to send me one as they should send it next day.

Associate
Good news and bad news....

The PSU arrived early (today) and is an AX1600i, so yay free upgrade!

It did however, come with an EU power lead. I guess I was right about the one from Scan.

I ordered a correct one from OcUK this morning, but the free delivery option was 2nd class, so it could be a while. I'll talk to scan tomorrow and ask them to send me one as they should send it next day.

Good to hear that you received your replacement. You got the best we have to offer with the AX1600i. Yes, I can see how it would be confusing, but this was to ensure you received the correct plug as you mentioned. The AX1600i, 1500i, and 1200i have different plugs from the rest of our line, so it can be a little challenging to find them if the correct regional cable is note included.

Associate
OP
Good to hear that you received your replacement. You got the best we have to offer with the AX1600i. Yes, I can see how it would be confusing, but this was to ensure you received the correct plug as you mentioned. The AX1600i, 1500i, and 1200i have different plugs from the rest of our line, so it can be a little challenging to find them if the correct regional cable is note included.

Perhaps you should tell Scan this, as they sent out a standard lead, not the lead for the AX1600i/1500i/1200i.

I put UK plug on the included lead myself.

Back
Top Bottom