B350 Micro-ATX Builds

Soldato
Is anyone planning a micro ATX Zen build? I like the look of the Gigabyte Gaming 3, mainly because it'll suit my Parvum case colour and it's under £100!

I'd be looking to do a budget gaming build, so would Ryzen 5 fit the bill or even Ryzen 3? I know pretty much nothing about the architecture so would be interested in what people have planned.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £102.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
I am and I originally pre ordered that mobo, but I think the MSI Mortar B350 is prob the better mATX board so far.
2 advantage I can see the Gaming 3 over the Mortar is 6x Sata 3 vs 4 . External USB 3.1 ports are Generation 2 and not 1 but the MSI board does have more external ports

hope this helps

Soldato
OP
I'd be interested in the overclocking ability of each chip and how well the micro boards support that compared to the full sized boards. Obviously I'm going to have to wait and do some homework on that.

Soldato
I'd be interested in the overclocking ability of each chip and how well the micro boards support that compared to the full sized boards. Obviously I'm going to have to wait and do some homework on that.

yeah, seems mATX version havent been given the full spec treatment which is a shame, specially with the rise of small form factor

Soldato
OP
yeah, seems mATX version havent been given the full spec treatment which is a shame, specially with the rise of small form factor

I'm not looking to squeeze every ounce out of the chip, I think a target of 4.4Ghz would be realistic? However, if the full sized boards take the chip much further or the micro boards struggle to push much past stock clocks then it may just rule this build out for me.

Interesting permutations of what's possible, and all part of the fun. ;)

Associate
2 advantage I can see the Gaming 3 over the Mortar is 6x Sata 3 vs 4 . External USB 3.1 ports are Generation 2 and not 1 but the MSI board does have more external ports

hope this helps

It's hard to decide really.
I wont be connecting more than 2 drives so that's a non issue for me.

But yeap, defo helps, I am hoping something else pops up before release

Soldato
It's hard to decide really.
I wont be connecting more than 2 drives so that's a non issue for me.

But yeap, defo helps, I am hoping something else pops up before release

Ryzen launch has made it hard for buyers due to NDA. Normally brand loyalty plays a huge part along with features but its such a brand new thing from amd , its back to the start line got everyone , all equal

Associate
I wanted a x370 m-atx board to go with my pre ordered ryzen 1700, with an aio cooler, but looks like there are none. So if I go msi b350m mortar is it worth having an aio or just use the supplied wraith spire.

Permabanned
Is anyone planning a micro ATX Zen build? I like the look of the Gigabyte Gaming 3, mainly because it'll suit my Parvum case colour and it's under £100!

I'd be looking to do a budget gaming build, so would Ryzen 5 fit the bill or even Ryzen 3? I know pretty much nothing about the architecture so would be interested in what people have planned.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £102.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Yes, I hope to do an ITX build but, I want to use Vega, an X370 motherboard and an 1800X so I may have to go matx, I'll know for sure in a few months once Vega and all the boards are on the market.

Associate
I'm planning to upgrade my current Z97 matx to Zen but I want to wait to see if any X370 matx boards become available. I do like to do a bit of overclocking so would prefer the extra headroom that the X370 should allow. More than likely going for the 1700X for it.

Associate
Changed my mind and gone back for the b350 mortar ordered from here, it might have less phases but I prefer the board.
Time will tell if it's a mistake.

Edit - Change my mind yet again, I think the reason I can't decide is basically none of the current mATX boards are great.
So I ordered a gigabyte x370 gaming 5 and a new case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom