Babies first Loop!

Associate
Hey guys,

I am designing a new build and am venturing into watercooling for the first time...i have a lot of questions lol

I have am thinking of the current pieces:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-886-ek.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-raystorm-pro-water-block-amd-am4-black-wc-416-xs.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-razor-gtx-1080-1070-full-cover-water-block-wc-40c-xs.html

So i can see that both my blocks are copper which i understand to be important, and they both have 1/4" fittings. What i dont understand is what fittings i need for the reservoir or pump. I am looking for some advice on what fittings i need for the reservoir/pump, and some suggestions around the tubes etc.

Also what is a good radiator, i was thinking of a 240mm as that seems to be fairly standard, would one radiator be sufficient for a cpu/gpu loop?

Thanks All

Associate
OP
oh yeah, cause im a scrub i havent selected a case yet - probably looking at a mid tower - so any additional suggestions there would be great

Soldato
All fittings are G1/4 at the threaded male end, which go in to the rads, res/pump and blocks. The specific fittings you will require will depend on what tubing you go for... you would get the corresponding size for each, and preferably the same brand to ensure 100% size compatibility.

First question is whether you want to go soft tubing or hardline.

And no, a single 240 is not sufficient for a CPU/GPU. It's possible to do it with a 360, but even that would be on the limit, and if you want the best temps and silence, more rad space (with low FPI, fins per inch) with fans running at low speed would be desirable. Your case will determine what rads you can fit.

Associate
OP
righto...and I am assuming you want a rad between each section of the loop right ? so would I be looking at:
res/pump > rad > cpu > rad > gpu?

I think soft tubing would be best for my first attempt! I am assuming that as all fittings are 1/4" it's then a question of what size piping and subsequently what size compression fittings I need?

Associate
That's the idea.
I would definitely go soft tubing for your first build.

I've been water cooling for a long time and I still use soft tube.

You may be better off picking a case and rads together. One 360 will work OK but some cases may take other combinations, like two 240.

You should also have some type of drain system. A ball valve on a T is what I use.
Then you can drain the system to work on it without risking a leak.

Last edited:
Associate
righto...and I am assuming you want a rad between each section of the loop right ? so would I be looking at:
res/pump > rad > cpu > rad > gpu?

I think soft tubing would be best for my first attempt! I am assuming that as all fittings are 1/4" it's then a question of what size piping and subsequently what size compression fittings I need?

Don't worry about loop order.
As long as you have pump after reservoir the order of everything else is irrelevant.
Efficient and easy to work on tubing runs are more important.

There are lots of different tubing, colours and stuff. They should all work.
Read a few build logs and see what you like the look of.
Personally I use clear tygon 10mm ID tube and EK fittings.

Associate
As stated above, don't worry about build order, keep it efficient (No 180 degree bends if you cant help it etc) and no tubes under tension (IE holding things in place)

The case is entirely up to you, as they are very personal item its hard to assist, personally I like the Phanteks range example:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...black-full-acrylic-side-window-ca-040-pt.html

From memory that can put a 360 rad in the top easily and is pretty cheap/ looks good too!

Fitting size wise I have gone 16/10 as they are a nice mix of size and ability to bend tubing.

Associate
OP
that's fair, thanks for the comments. so just for clarity the fittings onto the blocks and radiators etc are 1/4" but then the barbs/compression fittings go from 1/4 to whatever size pipe (based on the fitting)

are the ek combined pump/reservoirs quite well considered? they seem to be used quite a bit so I am assuming they are decent

Associate
You have the right idea sir.

All rad res, block connectors are 1/4" yes

The fittings you just become the pipe size you must use (As I said as an example I use 16/10 )

Hope that helps :)

I would hold fire on a purchase of a EK Predator if that is what you are looking at, had quite a few users with issues recently, or at least make sure you heavily research.

Associate
OP
thanks for the advice...the only reason I was looking at the predator was due to the ease of combined pump and reservoir.

how much hassle are separate pumps and reservoir? cause the pump needs to be after the reservoir?

Soldato
thanks for the advice...the only reason I was looking at the predator was due to the ease of combined pump and reservoir.

how much hassle are separate pumps and reservoir? cause the pump needs to be after the reservoir?

You can just get a combined res/pump like the one you linked initially, makes things easier. Unless you want separates for aesthetic reasons, or because a combined won't fit, there's no reason not to get one. Separates add extra fittings and tubing, so they will always be more work.

Associate
OP
ahhh....doh so that's me being dopey...the predator is the premier built loop...I was going to go custom so the separate components are generally okay though right?

Soldato
ahhh....doh so that's me being dopey...the predator is the premier built loop...I was going to go custom so the separate components are generally okay though right?

Well, the Predator is less deserving of the 'premier' tag these days given the many reported leaks. Not a good time to buy one, especially as they are now EOL and a new range is being released later this year.

EK's custom loop components aren't an issue though... I've used them many times and never had a problem. No idea what's going on with the Predator range, but it would be unfair to malign EK as a whole just because of those. No one should have any hesitation building a custom loop with EK parts, although by all means look at other brands such as Bitspower, Alphacool and Heatkiller... all excellent, and all offer a different aesthetic which may be more attractive.

Associate
OP
hahha whoops that was auto correct...was meant to say pre built

thanks for the info will look at them also :)

want to see what the ryzen reviews come out with before finalising

Associate
OP
So,

this is my rough idea. the blue is the rad/pump (looking at the EK one) the front radiator is a 240, and top 360, and the green is basically the block or cpu and GPU.

I think this is fairly standard from what i have seen.

jKOGcou.png

jKOGcou

Back
Top Bottom