Back4Blood

Associate
New game by Turtle Rock Studios - the people who brought is Left 4 Dead. Will be keeping an eye on this. Looks like a familiar style, so hopefully it'll be as good as L4D was.

Associate
OP
The first L4D was a breath of fresh air (or was it Dead Air) at the time, but this will have competition. Darktide releases next year too, and Fatshark have pedigree with their previous WH co-op games. And R6 Quarantine is still being worked on (I assume). Good times for those of us who like shooting zombies/infected/plague ridden with a few mates though!

I loved L4D, not so much L4D2. While it's pretty similar I felt the settings in the first felt more zombie movie-esque whereas in #2 they didn't. Plus the characters in 1 were better.

Associate
OP
I've added it to steam, had a download in the KB range - I assume that means they update it with the game at some point? :confused:

Associate
OP
Steam page is up. Details on the editions here. Not liking the sound of that, tbh.
Looks like there locking maps behind a paywall and the price is pretty steep so am not sure this will go down well.

Yea I wasn't massively impressed when I saw that. I suppose it depends on how much content you get for your money. As an example, Vermintide 2 has maps in their DLCs which you can't choose to play, however if someone in your lobby has it you can play it even if the host doesn't have that DLC. I also think that if you Quickplay - Vermintide 2 version of random - you can get dumped into a DLC map. Which I think is a good compromise. But V2 was also much cheaper IIRC at launch.

Associate
OP
Yeah, that's fair. There's a video on reddit of one of the devs being interviewed in a live stream of the game, and he says someone jumped the gun with the pricing announcement. He also said that they know they messed up with Evolve and finished with something like "we have a particular plan for the way extra content is handled that we think will work with all players". We shall see!
Fingers crossed then. I do think £50 is a bit much, but like I said, I don't know what is in the game.

What's in the Alpha? PvE, PvP, both? And does anyone know what the PvP is? 4v4, 4v1 etc?

Associate
OP
Vermintide 2's system of only needing 1 person in the group to have the DLCs and everyone can then play on the DLC map is brilliant. More companies should do that, the concept of 4 players all needing to own the DLC for a game is an outdated and money grabbing model imo.
Indeed! In the end I bought all the DLCs, even though I didn't really need to, just for the weapons, but up to that point I could still play with my mates who had bought it. Unlike the lovely experience of trying to play BF3 with a friend where I had premium and they had a couple of the DLCs - think we gave up trying to get into a server we liked the sound of after 30 mins.

Associate
OP
Not convinced. Vs mode? If not then GTFO.

Agree entirely. I was hyped for L4D2 and found it massively disappointing when released. Horrible daylight maps and truly awful characters. The only thing that saved it was the new infected, particularly the spitter.

It became much, much better when they combined the two, so we had the new infected plus all the L4D1 goodness.
See for us we had a modded server which made the smoker smoke do damage, so it kinda acted a bit like a suicide spitter before L4D2 was a thing. I think the spitter was the only new infected I liked, jockey and charger i just found annoying to play against and boring to play. The 'special' zombies were interesting, though I can only remember the clowns off the top of my head.

Associate
OP
Played a few PVE rounds and it's not a bad game. It's not good, but ok. I did end up just feeling like I'd rather be playing WWZ the entire time though. At least that's my opinion.

Associate
OP
Yea we noticed that too, didn't last a few seconds but definite frame drop when they spawned. I assumed it was server related.

Back
Top Bottom