Backing up

Permabanned
Hi,

I have an XP Pro computer in the loft which I backup lots of data regularly via my network. I also keep a copy on my local computer in case one of the hard drive fails, I am worried that one day a virus will attempt to wipe the hard drive in the loft using my downstairs computer as a host by bypassing my anti-virus software. DVDs are too small, tape drives are too expensive, external hard drives have the same issue potentially. How can I safeguard the data? :confused:

Associate
You have already mentioned the possibilities. I would suggest an external hard drive but do not keep it connected all the time, just when you are doing the backup.

Soldato
If you manage to get a virus on your main machine that also bypasses whatever anti virus software you have then it won't matter a toss will it! Your backup will still get infected!

Backup on whatever you have/can afford. And keep your anti vrus upto date.

Last edited:
Associate
Backup

Why not use Firefox & Gspace - that will give you a 2GB online drive to save data to. Get a number of accounts and of course then you can have x times 2GB backup.

I save my pictures there.....

Associate
attman said:
Why not use Firefox & Gspace - that will give you a 2GB online drive to save data to. Get a number of accounts and of course then you can have x times 2GB backup.

I save my pictures there.....

sry to say but if a dvd was to small for him to back up then a 2gb storage space will off next to little use.

i would also suggest a external hdd, plug it in once a day/week todo a back up

Back
Top Bottom