backpack or pannier - commute dillema

Soldato
hey all.

need to go back to commuting...
as new job requires shirts etc, im after a backpack or pannier that i will carry those in...
any recommendations based on the experience guys ?

maybe there are ways to pack shirts so they are not come out creased beyond any use...

thanks a lot

Soldato
I guess it's your choice. I use a backpack with clothes/laptop in, but i'm fortunate i don't wear shirts at work. I'm now at a place where i only need shorts/t-shirt for the days i'm in the office :D

Do you have showers at work? One issues with a rucksack for me is that my back gets really sweaty so always need a shower, so panniers may be better if that's not available..

Soldato
OP
I guess it's your choice. I use a backpack with clothes/laptop in, but i'm fortunate i don't wear shirts at work. I'm now at a place where i only need shorts/t-shirt for the days i'm in the office :D

Do you have showers at work? One issues with a rucksack for me is that my back gets really sweaty so always need a shower, so panniers may be better if that's not available..
yeah shirts are new to me so are long leg chinos :eek: shorts all year before ;)
yeah showers etc are avail at work so no issue there.

just got our painter to refurb me a small cupboard so i can turn it in to my personal closet for shirts etc :D

Soldato
Less of an issue with motorcycles, but having a pack on your back can be problematic and interfere with all the moving around and tranfering of weight when you're riding.
Backpacks are usually less rigid too, so your carefully ironed and folded shirt can get very easily squished. Panniers tend to have rigid backs, so proper packing may yield better results. Maybe put your shirt between this and your laptop to keep it pressed flat?
It's then just a case of finding some panniers you like with a quick-release mechanism for easy portability.

Soldato
Another option is to take a stash of shirts to work and keep them in the cupboard. I've done that before. If i take say 5 shirts one time when not cycling, it generally lasts a while assuming they probably only need washing after 2-3 wears providing you don't stink!

Soldato
Pannier every time.

get a pair of bags rather than one very large one so you can carry "more stuff" in a balanced way on occasions that you need to.

shirts wise, the non-iron ones seem to fall out fairly smoothly after being packed in a bag

Last edited:
Soldato
Pannier over backpack, just for sweat.
I spent ages not making the change, regretted it so much.
Also means my nice shiny reflective jacket doesn't have a bag covering most of it.

I roll my tops, but they aren't shirts, just polo t-shirts.

Associate
Panniers put less strain on your back.

Roll your shirts. Fold them like they do in shops first, then roll them. Same goes for trousers. Any creases drop out in the first few minutes.

Associate
I'll go against the grain. Depends on how long your commute is. I just find backpacks quicker, easier and less faff.

I also tend to bring in a few days worth of clothes/food and then not bring anything - best of both worlds.

Soldato
I'll go against the grain. Depends on how long your commute is. I just find backpacks quicker, easier and less faff.

I also tend to bring in a few days worth of clothes/food and then not bring anything - best of both worlds.
You aren't alone, I backpack too.

Associate
I use to have a 16 mile each way cycle to work and always used a backpack. Did the shirt roll method and found my 25L Osprey back had plenty of space for everything.

That said if I was to do it again think I'd give panniers a go.

Soldato
I do tend to walk in most days as I get a lift back, so a backpack is ideal for that but it's also great for the times I do cycle in. I just use this Karrimor one,

Work shirt and hi-vis are folded and rolled and tucked away in the bottom with my snappin' box on top to hold 'em in place. My ID badge, water bottle and sweets go in the pockets.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I cycle to work with a laptop bag, which I thought would be annoying and slip about the whole time, but it doesn't.
Still gets sweaty like a backpack does, so I take a t shirt with me, rolled up in the top of the bag, and change at work.

I needed a shirt last week one day, so I just buttoned it around my neck and let it drape over my shoulders like a superhero cape. Worked fine!

Last edited:
Associate
Backpack that I put in a box on rack. Best thing ever. Can even carry a big shopping in both box and backpack.. Box is aero, unlike panniers that work like a handbrake..

Associate
I used to cycle commute and had this fun.

I found a backpack just made me sweaty and even after a shower I could feel my back clammy. My cyclocross bike didn't have pannier options so I went for an underseat clip-on bag, which I found amazing:
it leaves a black 2-3" long mount on the seatpost (so I guess it could be an issue if it was carbon, or your stem was slammed) - and the bag just clips on/off this. It's big enough to fit trousers, shirt, a change of undies/socks, a lunchbox, pocket cycling jacket, mini-tool and pump, etc. Didn't go back to a backpack once after moving to this bag - but I'd happily look at panniers if my bike allowed it (and if the bag was easily removeable)

Prep-work helps a lot too.
Leave some shoes at work, so they're left dry and clean. I could shower at work, so I left shower-gel there and took a towel in on mon and home on fri, etc.

Back
Top Bottom