Backup Solutions that are Exchange aware?

Soldato
Having endless problems with NTBackup.

What decent products are out there for exchange aware backups?

Veritas and others, but looking for easy to use GUIs for the Help Desk.

Thanks

Soldato
I've always found backup exec to have a very straight forward GUI and I've never had an issue since day one of installing the exchange license

I'd recommend it, except i haven't used anything else so i have nothing to compare it too

Soldato
Our sites use Backup Exec, not needed to actually use it to recover anything though, bar a .pst that was corrupted, however, the recovered .pst was also corrupted, but I guess they just did not recover a version old enough ?

Soldato
PST files can often be reported by backup exec as corrupted if they're backed up in use...

Although if its actually unusable, then use scanpst.exe to fix it.

PST files are my nemesis...

Soldato
We've banned PSTs too but havent got any sort of archiving, resulting in some rather epic mailboxes (2gb+)

Looking at solutions now but KVS is a bit out of our league as a smaller company - looking at GFI archiver...

Soldato
CA ArcServe 12 addresses a lot that the previous versions failed on and its actually rather quite nice to use, especially the new logging GUI.

One of the packaged versions comes with Exchange Information Store and Brick level backup as part of the product, when I am at work tomorrow I will dig out the datasheets for you if you like.

Soldato
As you can see, Backup Exec is a very popular one. We use it along with the Exchange Agent too... only problem we have had with it is when removing users, it seems to take a while to notice that the mailboxes have actually gone...

Back
Top Bottom