• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bah, I can't decide what graphics card to buy. If any.

Man of Honour
Warning - pointless rambling ahead! :)

I want a new toy to replace my Radeon 7950. I've certainly got my money's worth out of that card (I bought it used for ~£100 IIRC) but it's lacking in grunt nowadays even though I'm gaming at 1920x1080.

But the problem is what to replace it with. I'm balking at the current price of graphics cards. £400 for a high midrange card. £250 for 2.5 year old second hand cards not quite as good as those.

But then I look at a 1070...and think that a 1070ti isn't much more expensive...and then think that a 1080 isn't much more expensive...and then I'm looking at £500+ for a graphics card...and then I think that's really silly and my 7950 is still working and tolerable for 1080...and then I play my FO4 with my ludicrously elaborate settlements and ~150 mods and it's really quite sub par...and then I look at a 1070 and....you see how this goes.

I've looked at Vega56 and 64, but they're louder and more power-hungry (I have a good quality 600W PSU that should be enough, but I'd rather have it under lower load and thus quieter) and not cheaper or better so I'm leaning towards nVidia this time.

And now I've seen a decent quality 1070 Ti with a good cooler for £417 and that's a good price for a 1070 Ti that's silent when not gaming, quiet even under stress testing and boosts as high as ~1900MHz at stock settings at 1920x1080. It beats a stock 1080 in a couple of games at 1920x1080 because of how high it boosts at stock.

But...that's not pocket change. £417 seems like a hell of a lot for a graphics card to me.

The money isn't a hard constraint by itself. I've been lucky and I've become very prudent with money as I've got older and so I have accumulated some spare cash despite being a minimum wage flunkey. Not a lot, but more than enough for this without any trouble. It's just that, well, I've become very prudent with money. £400+ for a graphics card feels like too much.

Black Friday is being mentioned, but I doubt if graphics cards will have any actual reductions. I was looking at another site and they had some graphics cards with big reductions labelled on them, but that was blatant lying. The prices were the same - all they'd done was put some much higher prices next to the real prices and crossed out the higher prices. The usual price is 25% off this made up price! Bargain!

Maybe prices will go down after Christmas...and maybe it won't be all that long until the next gen comes out and maybe they'll be significantly better so I could buy a lower model for a much lower price and make do with my 7950 for a while longer...

And now I've talked myself out of it again :) I'm going to sleep on it.

Associate
Why not look at a 1060 or an RX580? Then its'only' @£250.
A Gainward 1060 6GB card can be had for £225.

Last edited:
Soldato
£400+ for a graphics card feels like too much.

£400 is too much...for the level of performance it buys in late 2017.

Every GPU out there, in every category, from low to high end, is £25-£150 overpriced.

At this stage in their market life cycle, 1070's should now cost between £250 & £300 with 1070Ti's at around the £350 level.

Man of Honour
If at 1080p then blag the cheapest 1070 you can find in Black Friday sales or other sales over Christmas period or whatever.

Associate
A few years back l contemplated getting a new midrange graphics card, but it was cheaper buying a whole new console. So at the time l bought an Xbox one and was very happy with my choice. It was because my pc at the time couldnt run The Witcher 3 and the Xbox could. I have only put together a half decent pc recently because of VR.

Soldato
Absolutely nothing interesting out at the moment. All rehashed and over priced. AMD have been a massive disappointment. IMO I would save your cash.

Soldato
£400 is too much...for the level of performance it buys in late 2017.

Every GPU out there, in every category, from low to high end, is £25-£150 overpriced.

At this stage in their market life cycle, 1070's should now cost between £250 & £300 with 1070Ti's at around the £350 level.
It complete honestly, IMO other than the 1080Ti, every card below (both Nvidia and AMD) performance don't seem to be belong as a 2017 card for the price they are asking, but feel much more like cards release back in 2016 and the pricing never fell.

Soldato
I want a new toy to replace my Radeon 7950. I've certainly got my money's worth out of that card (I bought it used for ~£100 IIRC) but it's lacking in grunt nowadays even though I'm gaming at 1920x1080.
Just curious...have you overclocked the 7950 or are you running in at stock speed? Cause one of the biggest merit of the 7950 is the big overclock you can get out of it, and the GPU clock speed can be overclocked from 800MHz to 1150~1200MHz...that's up to nearly 50% boost in clock speed!

Soldato
OP, your 'ramblings' are very much like my own on this matter. I'm desperate to upgrade my R9 380x but nothing seems like a worthwhile upgrade - unless you start spending silly money. As others have suggested, hold tight to your cash for the moment and see what (if anything) Black Friday or Christmas deals bring, though I'm not holding my breath on either to be honest.

Soldato
The 2017 GPU market in one simple equation:

Nvidia greed + AMD RTG incompetence + retailer gouging = shafted PC gamers.
Indeed.

The 1080Ti should have been a £550~£600 at most, but due to AMD unable to deliver the typical "bang for bucks" cards for their 500 series and then the Vega being high priced due to the high production cost, every single graphic card has pretty much being sold at a high price point than they really should.

The release of 1070Ti after over a year since the release of the 1070 and 1080 is basically the Nvidia's way of showing how much they are loving dip-feeding the customers rather than pushing things forward.

Caporegime
I was just comparing Passmark benchmarks which put the 1060 at almost double the score of the 7950, but maybe that's not a good yardstick.

The 580/1068 are performance comparable to the 290x, I bought my reference 290x for 250 3 years ago.

Plus a stock 7950 has crap clocks and thus reviews are somewhat not accurate of a tweaked card.

Man of Honour
OP
Just curious...have you overclocked the 7950 or are you running in at stock speed? Cause one of the biggest merit of the 7950 is the big overclock you can get out of it, and the GPU clock speed can be overclocked from 800MHz to 1150~1200MHz...that's up to nearly 50% boost in clock speed!

I'm not sure if I ever ran it at stock :)

The stock GPU speed on my card is 930MHz rather than 800, but I found a couple of things from overclocking GPU and/or RAM:

1) It resulted in a relatively small increase in performance because the card is heavily power limited.
2) It resulted in a relatively large increase in temps, especially VRM temp due to the design of the cooler.

After some time playing with settings, I found the best performance/temps/stability/noise combo came from undervolting at stock speeds. That got me 20% higher performance with vastly better temps and noise than 1100 GPU 1575 RAM at stock volts, which was the highest clocks I could select with the overclocking software I was using at the time.

I made a post at the time, with some summary benchmark results:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/7950-vrm-temps-what-should-they-be.18599871/

Man of Honour
OP
I was just comparing Passmark benchmarks which put the 1060 at almost double the score of the 7950, but maybe that's not a good yardstick.

I found a link to a hardware site that had extensive benchmarking of numerous graphics cards in the same PC, neatly available with drop-down boxes to compare cards in any one of a couple of dozen benchmarks. There were 3 different sets for 3 different years that I think were in 3 different PCs and thus not directly compatible, but it was extremely useful. And I can't find it again.

Soldato
I keep wanting to upgrade my GTX 970 as it struggles with my 1600p display....

GPU prices are just stupid at the moment though. Going to have to wait another generation for something approaching decent value.

Back
Top Bottom