'Band of Brothers' is just astonishing

Don
Pacific for me is worth watching all the way to the end for the last episode. There is a scene when the young lad is back home hunting with his dad and it just completely breaks me, even just thinking about it has me in tears.

Caporegime
Pacific for me is worth watching all the way to the end for the last episode. There is a scene when the young lad is back home hunting with his dad and it just completely breaks me, even just thinking about it has me in tears.

Its an emotional scene...( I forgotten it) :p

But the rest is mediocre IMO.

Soldato
I think Pacific suffers as it's adapted from 3 books IIRC whereas BOB is a single book
This is exactly it's problem which goes back to the way the US marines in WWII didn't put units through training and then into combat as one but split them up following training so the story looses that end to end link that BOB has. Having read all the books the source material for the Pacific isn't as good either.

Could happily watch BOB over and over again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seen it close to 30 times overall I'd say.

What is amazing is that most of the actors were not that well established but just do a Google search and you'll see the obvious ones such as Damien Lewis (Winters) and Ron Livingston (Nixon) but many that are household names now:

Donnie Wahlberg (Lipton)
Tom Hardy (Janovec)
Michael Fassbender (Christenson)
Neal McDonough (Compton)
Eion Bailey (Webster)
James McAvoy (Miller)

Just to name a few.

The genius behind this show was that it is a masterclass in character development, focusing on a different character in each episode, all the while developing the core cast that we see in the final episode.

The Pacific failed due to not following the same recipe above - I just could not follow the flow of the story and the biggest deal to me was I wasn't invested in any of the characters.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the rest is mediocre IMO.
Out of curiosity, what would you have preferred?
More guts, guns and 'splosions, less emotional turmoil?

It's at least as good as anything I have watched although I do find myself feeling that it suffers the usual America won the war all on their own nonsense.
It's to be expected, though, since it's from an American perspective. I've not seen anything on this level from other countries to compete.
The worst part is being a WW2 living historian & reenactor, and seeing more people portraying 502nd/101st Airborne than were in the real life regiment... not to mention whole regiments' worth of "E-company" all sporting Tommy guns and mohawk haircuts.

Caporegime
It's at least as good as anything I have watched although I do find myself feeling that it suffers the usual America won the war all on their own nonsense.

As I have got older and read more and more historians books on WW2, British ones too I realise it's not that they think they won it, more as Brits we were institutionalised to think we had a greater part in it from 1941 than we had. We were beaten without Hitlers errors in starting an air war and switching attention to Russia and beaten without the American War Machine feeding the UK and Russia with equipment.

After the Battle of Britain we were pretty ineffectual except in small raids and guerilla tactics. To be fair the Americans could be a lot worse with how we fought the war from them joining. As the years have passed pretty much every thing I have read states that as a ground fighting unit we were only marginally better than the Italians. The Band of Brothers book has more contempt in it for the British losing ground that the Americans won than they ever put in the TV series.

Both Max Hastings books and Ian Kershaws are pretty slating of the British fighting effectiveness in WW2 on the ground and to a lesser extent the sea.

Soldato
Amazing series, it really is. The interviews with the guys that took part gets me every time.. To think what our grandfathers and their fathers had to go through.. it just goes beyond belief what they went through and sacrificed.. That in most cases, volunteered to protect their country instead of running away.

This should be a copy and paste reply in the SC forum regarding certain replies about Brexit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Such as what, though? It's meant to be all dark and depressing and slow and cerebral instead of win-the-war-heroic...
No amount of skilled writing can turn a horror story into a fun action flick, without ****ing on the original narrative.

I just didn't connect with any of the characters like I did with BOB

You can have things slow paced, moody etc...But its the script and the charcters that you have to care about.

Soldato
Just started my third watch of this amazing series.

I'm always in awe of the utter bravery of some of the people involved in incredible moments of human history as portrayed in this programme, not least because I think in similar situations I'd be lucky to last five minutes.

A humbling watch indeed.

Back
Top Bottom