Barack Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize

Soldato
Bush wasn't Jesus 2.0 in everyone's eyes. In fact, he was hated.

Conversely, everyone I find loves Obama.

I don't "love" Obama but its critical to have a smart guy in the White house at this time, someone who is considerate about what they do and doesn't make drastic, random decisions based on emotion.

And I think Obama should be entitled to blame the previous admin for the next three years for all the damage they've done.

Soldato
He isn't Nobel peace price worthy yet, but maybe in the future. He seems much more intelligent than Bush for starters but I think most people feel he will be a good thing for the world, but don't count your chickens until they hatch..

Soldato
My initial reaction was that it was a crock of ****, that he hadn't achieved enough etc. But then, meh, I just think maybe he should be given it, like credit that he has to work off. Maybe I still have some of that hope. Hope is important :).

Man of Honour
While I do like and respect the man, I honestly don't think he deserves this award.

Honestly, what is it with "prestigious" awards these days. They're getting more and more devalued all the time e.g. David Beckham being given an MBE.

Permabanned
I heard that tomorrow Obama is going to raise the dead and cure all illness, Worldwide! He's also going to single-handedly terraform Mars to cater this rise in population.

Man of Honour
In the job for 9 months - check.

Should that disqualify him ?

500+ still in Guantanamo - check.

Indeed a stain but is he not closing it by January next year ?

Weekly UAV Airstrikes in Pakistan - check.

The greatest threat to the United States and the United Kingdom comes from Pakistan based or linked extremism.

Posturing and threatening Iran and NK - check.

And Iran and NK do not do the same ? Missile tests, wipe Israel off the map, threaten SK with war ?

Failures in Afghanistan - check.

I see a war of attrition with insufficient troops to hold captured ground. I do not see a failure yet.

9,400 nuclear warheads in stock - check.

Which he is actively reducing and do you seriously expect the world's most powerful country militarily to get rid of all nuclear weapons given the current climate ? They have prevented a full scale war by their very existence since 1945 and I remember being a kid in the 80s when the threat of nuclear war was very real.

President Obama is a breath of fresh air compared to his predecessor and I personally wish him well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Should that disqualify him ?
Yes. Absolutely. Seeing as it is only a mesure of his TWO WEEKS in power.

Indeed a stain but is he not closing it by January next year ?
No. Stalled.

The greatest threat to the United States and the United Kingdom comes from Pakistan based or linked extremism.
I agree, but straw man. It's a PEACE prize. And I don't think the Nobel committee buy into the Si vi pacem para bellum ideology.

And Iran and NK do not do the same ? Missile tests, wipe Israel off the map, threaten SK with war ?
See above.

I see a war of attrition with insufficient troops to hold captured ground. I do not see a failure yet.
Remains to be seen what happens, but again PEACE prize.

Which he is actively reducing and do you seriously expect the world's most powerful country militarily to get rid of all nuclear weapons given the current climate ? They have prevented a full scale war by their very existence since 1945 and I remember being a kid in the 80s when the threat of nuclear war was very real.
He is not actively[b/] reducing yet - and hasn't done in the 2 weeks/9 months. Also, they've only agreed to drop their active nukes (if Russia do) by a paltry amount. And this isn't disarmanent, it is making them inactive. Similar to how the IRA made their weapons inactive, yet shot them the weekend at a funeral.

I am an advocate of MAD and nukes. But the number they have is silly. It is a stupid promise and by his own admission won't happen in his lifetime. So why award HIM for that? ********.

President Obama is a breath of fresh air compared to his predecessor and I personally wish him well.

He is full of **** and made promises congress will never let him enact.

I would've been delighted if he fulfilled his promises, and promoted peace AND was awarded the peace prize in 3-4yrs. Now? It is indefensible.

EDIT - I agree, he is a "breath of fresh air compared to his predecessor", but he isn't Jesus 2.0. And he did NOT deserve the Nobel Prize in 2009. That, sir, is irrefutable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom