Basic equipment for video recording

Soldato
I'm looking at a basic set up to record some video for basic tutorials and a panel type interview with 2 people, this is likely to be further down the line so it if requires additional lighting then I can add that later. Id like it to look as professional as possible with a budget of say £200? I don't have a designated studio space so will need to pack things away when not in use.

I have a Fuji XT100 and a couple of lenses which I could possibly use? If so then I think Im looking at lighting and a mic?

Also tips appreciated thanks.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Outside of your budget but works as a dual purpose so might be justifiable, I would just get an iPhone 15 Pro with an external USB C drive

Soldato
Recently bought some stuff for video work, including the Zoom F2 and TAKSTAR SGC-600. Finding both of them to be seriously good bits of kit for the money.

What I like about the F2 is that it records 32-bit float. Without getting technical, it means you don't need to faff around with level adjustment before recording - you can do everything in post and get a lot out of it.

Associate
Are you looking to record and stream live ? Or record, edit and upload as a finished video product ?

Your Fuji will likely work fine, but if not, then even a cheap option could be basic modern-ish camcorder and connecting an hdmi cable into an hdmi usb capture dongle on the computer. I found these can make for decent video quality. Camcorders can zoom easily to adjust their image position, they can easily be mounted on stands / arms, and they also have screens to flip towards you so you can look at the camera itself and immediately see the image. Great for when you are talking to camera pieces.

In terms of lighting, in my office I have a window directly behind me which makes me silhouette against it when on a webcam call. I bought an under counter strip light similar to something like this: ( found from a quick google search)

which i plonk somewhere by the side of the monitor to light up my face with a large diffuse light. It’s not adjustable Brightness, but moving it about / making it face the wall affects the light on my face well. it’s cheap as chips, doesn’t weigh much, and plugs straight into the mains and easily moved about. Makes a massive difference to my webcam stuff.

As for mics … sorry, not that clued up on them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you looking to record and stream live ? Or record, edit and upload as a finished video product ?

Your Fuji will likely work fine, but if not, then even a cheap option could be basic modern-ish camcorder and connecting an hdmi cable into an hdmi usb capture dongle on the computer. I found these can make for decent video quality. Camcorders can zoom easily to adjust their image position, they can easily be mounted on stands / arms, and they also have screens to flip towards you so you can look at the camera itself and immediately see the image. Great for when you are talking to camera pieces.

In terms of lighting, in my office I have a window directly behind me which makes me silhouette against it when on a webcam call. I bought an under counter strip light similar to something like this: ( found from a quick google search)

which i plonk somewhere by the side of the monitor to light up my face with a large diffuse light. It’s not adjustable Brightness, but moving it about / making it face the wall affects the light on my face well. it’s cheap as chips, doesn’t weigh much, and plugs straight into the mains and easily moved about. Makes a massive difference to my webcam stuff.

As for mics … sorry, not that clued up on them.

Its to record, edit and upload as a finished video yes. Don't think there will ever be any live stuff.

I will get a video hdmi capture card thanks. A quick google you can get them from £20 upwards, does it matter which given its a digital signal?

Ive got a window to the side but can close the blind so shouldnt cause an issue. I think I'll try one of the large ring lights to see how that works and then look at whether I need anything else.

For the mic, not sure if its just worth going for a Blue Yeti as they seem to be the go to for mics.

Soldato
OP
Recently bought some stuff for video work, including the Zoom F2 and TAKSTAR SGC-600. Finding both of them to be seriously good bits of kit for the money.

What I like about the F2 is that it records 32-bit float. Without getting technical, it means you don't need to faff around with level adjustment before recording - you can do everything in post and get a lot out of it.

Thanks for the recomendations, not sure what my camera has in the way of inputs but will dig it out and see if the TAKSTAR will connect. Will have a read up on the Zoome F2 also.

Is it better to use a Lavalier mic?

Soldato
Thanks for the recomendations, not sure what my camera has in the way of inputs but will dig it out and see if the TAKSTAR will connect. Will have a read up on the Zoome F2 also.

Is it better to use a Lavalier mic?

I hate it when other people say this but it depends.

If you’ve got a noise controlled room good acoustics and good onboard recorder on the Fuji then the takstar might do the job just fine.

The Zoom F2 has everything built into it, meaning no dependencies on other equipment. Plug in. Record. Go.

Happy to do some samples of each for you if you like?

Associate
I have a cheapo (£10ish) hdmi capture dongle that looks like the elgato camlink, and it just plugged in an worked fine.

I also previously had an avermedia hd2 pcie capture card, and used them side by side for webcam piano lesson stuff in OBS. To be fair the more expensive pcie capture card did do a slightly better job ... almost as though the picture was slightly smoother / more natural, but at first glance there wasn't that much in it, and given your budget, certainly worth trying the cheaper one first. I had them plugged into camcorders recording the hdmi outs, as well as the hdmi out of a Canon EOS Rp camera.

Either way, all of the setups benefitted from better lighting more than anything else imho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom