Basic IPhone Questions

Associate
Hi,

I've been looking into getting an iPhone for the last couple of days and I just want to check that I understand it all correctly

• I can buy an iphone without taking out a contract from O2/Apple/CPW stores
  • I can then activate it via itunes on an official O2 contract or,
  • I can unlock the phone so that it can use any O2 sim (but not PAYG) or,
  • I can unlock it to use any sim (any network) but I won't have fast connectivity (EDGE)
  • Jailbreaking means to allow 3rd party apps to run on the phone, but
  • An official SDK is due in the next couple of weeks which should mean that this is no longer required.
Is the above correct? If so, are there any drawbacks now to unlocking the iPhone? Any features which official iphones get which the unlocked ones don't?

Thanks

James

Associate
1) yes
2) yes
3) you can use ANY o2 sim (pay and go also) if you "Jailbreak" it as you do not touch the locks (which is locked on o2)
4) no, you can use edge if the sim supports it, and you can use ANY network sim only if you UNLOCK an already jailbroken device
5) yes
6) yes, end of feb

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Have read the sticky thoroughly but it seems things have changed a bit over the last few days which is why I wanted to clarify.

So, just to clarify point 3, I could use a O2 PAYG sim in the phone and still receive the full functionality (Edge/Wifi etc) after jailbreaking it and unlocking it? There is no difference in the functionality between an official o2 contract iPhone and a jailbroken & unlocked one?

Associate
You get the functionality but you will be billed for data access on the Edge unless the SIM has a contract that gives your the data download as part of the package.

Same for wi-fi, you can use but you won't get free Cloud wifi access.

Associate
OP
If I get an O2 Simplicity Sim and the Unlimited data bolt-on that would give me EDGE access wouldn't it? Seeing as it's only 30 days notice that would make it pretty much as good as PAYG

Associate
If I get an O2 Simplicity Sim and the Unlimited data bolt-on that would give me EDGE access wouldn't it? Seeing as it's only 30 days notice that would make it pretty much as good as PAYG

sounds like a plan, a lot of people have gone with a simplicity sim and a bolt-on.

Associate
Yep, that would work.

How exactly? Is it easy to do? Sorry but i really dont know where to start and i really like the look of the iPhone :cool:

Sorry to jump in here but i have a couple of questions also..

-Can i use an O2 PAYG sim in the phone at all? And would it be legal ? Any disadvantages i should know of.

-Can you use it on wifi with skype ?

Thanks a bunch :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

How exactly? Is it easy to do? Sorry but i really dont know where to start and i really like the look of the iPhone :cool:

Sorry to jump in here but i have a couple of questions also..

-Can i use an O2 PAYG sim in the phone at all? And would it be legal ? Any disadvantages i should know of.

Yes, but you need to jailbreak it to do so.

It would void you warranty, but a "restore" of the phone in iTunes would return things to a factory state.

-Can you use it on wifi with skype ?

Not officially, I believe there are apps on the net that allow this.

Thanks a bunch :)

Back
Top Bottom